37 - Moea Island

The sun kissed the horizon, casting a golden glow over the morning sky. Beneath the sunlight, the glittering sea shimmered, and crashing waves played harmoniously with the cries of flitting gulls. Their wings, dipped in coral and gold hues, danced above the restless sea.

Huey shut his eyes, blocking the sunlight with his palm. The sea breeze ruffled his hair and blew at his clothes, sending goosebumps along his arms. Despite Ecrelyn being relatively warm in spring, the sea breeze held a crisp edge this early by the coast—a lingering chill of winter's grasp.

He squeezed the handle of his bag, a small valise holding some essentials and clean clothes. The info slip said there were designated laundry days, and they would live in cabins. This two-week trip was looking to be pretty good. Huey was even looking forward to it.

With his hand shielding the sun's glare, red eyes squinted towards the distance. As the tide ebbed and flowed, a distant vessel could be seen parting the waves. Soon, the black blob was close enough to make out a large and modern ship. Its horn bellowed deep and rumbling as it finally drew close to the dock.

One of the teachers raised their voice.

"Students! Please line up in your homeroom from classes A to H! The first years will embark first! Make sure you have everything!" She called out, prompting everyone to begin moving.

Kayson grumbled, "Of course, we have to line up in homerooms." He sighed and begrudgingly waved goodbye to Huey and Nicholas before strolling away.

Nicholas scanned for their homeroom teacher as the boy disappeared into the crowd before spotting Mr. Clark's familiar face. He nudged Huey, pulling the other towards their class.

"Good morning, boys." Mr. Clark smiled and checked their names on the attendance. "Excited?"

Nicholas nodded, though he was never one for the cold. The briny breeze tousled his hair and made his nose runny; butterflies flapped in his stomach. He felt silly, but his family never bothered to go on island vacations, let alone bring him, so who could blame him for feeling thrilled?

"I know it's supposed to be a training camp, but what will we train on an island?" Huey asked Mr. Clark, who was busy marking attendance as more classmates joined the group.

The teacher held his pen over his mouth in a hush gesture. "You'll know when you get there."

Huey took it as his cue to leave and let the man do his job.

Perhaps it was because it was early in the morning, the chill, anticipation, or all three, but Huey did not talk much. Even the most chatty of students spoke in hushed whispers. He and Nicholas exchanged small talk, of course, but they were content to sit and wait, listening to the sound of the ocean.

Time was held in tangent where the boundary between tangible and surreal blurred. The symphony by the seaside promised a set stage for waiting actors. Huey could feel it. Beyond the reach of gentle waves, something was coming.

Eventually, everyone boarded the ship, and it was off, blasting its horn like a salute or perhaps a cheer in its wake. The vessel moved smoothly through the waters, and after the teachers introduced the crew and a couple of ground rules, everyone was free to roam.

Naturally, Huey and Nicholas aimed to find Kayson, and they knew just the place. The duo arrived at the canteen with a bit of asking and exploration. As expected, Kayson could be seen browsing the menu at a table by the windows. Just as quickly as they saw him, he saw them. The pink-haired boy quickly waved them over, ecstatic.

"They have burgers!" Kayson all but shoved the menu in their face.

Huey grimaced. "It's like eight in the morning."