26 - You'll See

"In my opinion, I don't think we should approach the other noble circles yet." Huey began, the three of them were standing by the glass doors connected to one of the balconies. The loud waltz of the music rippled in the back.

"Care to expand?" Kayson was fiddling with the edges of his gloves, pulling then straightening it out again. Still, the boy was listening.

"It's no secret Nicholas is a bastard child and the Vergis Barony is pretty up there on the ​​ignominy chart. No offense."

Nicholas shrugged. "None taken."

Huey nodded and directed at the other youth. "So I doubt many other nobles would willingly want to build connections with him, and it's not like me and you are the ideal representative of our households." He cringed.

Kayson hummed in understanding.

He continued, " And even if he does manage to get in, it'll be bad for his reputation as people may see him as an avaricious sycophant which'll exacerbate the finally dying accusations of him acting obsequiously towards us." Huey allowed himself to take a breath and added his second point. "Which is why we should focus on the merchants and expand on his business connections instead. It'll be much more useful for him than the favors of other nobles right now since the barony's in debt, so getting a better grasp on the current and upcoming market is essential."

Nicholas pinched his chin in thought, voice coming out low. "I see... any ideas on who we'll approach?"

"Yes, the head of Orbit Pharmaceuticals, Alex Smith. It'd be best to pay extra attention to him, his business will boom in less than a year's time."

"How do you know this?"

"Secret, but trust me it'll work."

Orbit Pharmaceuticals, a small pharmaceutical company with mild to moderate success. Nothing really worthy of note, but next year their company will manage to uncover the cure to a disease thought to be incurable. Stock and share prices will instantly rise followed by further discoveries of potion varieties, medicinal qualities, medicine, and other techniques. Someone no one could've predicted without knowledge of the future: which he had.

The blonde just sighed clearly unsatisfied with the dismissal but did not give chase. "Anybody else?"

Kayson cut in, "Definitely don't try to mingle with the more successful merchants yet. Those guys constantly have a stick up their ass and a pompous attitude because of their wealth and they'd look down on you 100%. I suggest starting with a circle like... hmm." He spun around and surveyed the much more spread out guests in the revenue. He outstretched a pointing finger at the group that caught his eye. "Them."

"Aren't those the merchants involved in the mana stone and jewelry wares?"

"Mhm! Good, you already know what they do! Now go Nicholas we'll watch from over here if you need help place a fist behind your back!" With that said he placed his palms on the blonde's back and ushered him forwards.

"Alright alright! Don't push me." Nicholas exasperatedly snapped, brushing the other's arms off of him. Sage eyes stared forwards at his target and looked back into blue-gold and scarlet red. He took a deep breath, reaffirming himself.

If anything goes wrong, they have his back. His friends have his back. This is all for his sake, he can do this. He can do this.

Like a mantra, Nicholas repeated the phrase in his head as he stalked forwards. Until eventually he was standing right in front of the group of merchants. He let a second of their confused staring tick by before a professional smile graces his features.