And they know... Karate

You and April had been up all night. Correction, April KEPT you up all night. You had rewatched too many videos to count, printed out dozens of photos, and wrote who-knows-how-many sentences.

You were exhausted, but you knew how much this meant to your sister, and this was kinda your job in a way too. Besides, you were FASCINATED by those turtles. Somehow your dad had fed them some green goo, and now they were seven feet tall, could speak English, and had BEAUTIFUL EYES. Yeah, you're still not letting those eyes go.

"Y/N you're crumpling the papers!" April shouted from the bathroom as she rushed to do her hair. You sat up quickly and rubbed your eyes. Sure enough, you had crumpled quite a few papers.

"Sorryyyyy." You drawled out, "I'm just so tired."
April grinned at you from the bathroom. "Hey! After this meeting with Bernadette, we'll get coffee! Verns treat!"

You laughed at that last part as you got up and grabbed some spare clothes from the floor. You threw over your favorite 'NEW YORK' hoodie, but this time dressed up more than workout leggings, adding black jeans and your nicer pair of white shoes. You then rushed into the bathroom and began frantically curling your hair. You didn't want to look like shit in front of the head of Channel 6 News.

-/——\-

"Okay, come on... we just have to uh-" April was standing in front of two large whiteboards in a small room, a few pictures already taped to the board. "What did you say this symbol means again?" April pointed at the Kanji symbol on the board.

You leaned over from your seat, "Uh, family? Yeah family." April nodded, drawing a box around the printed out symbol, and then drawing arrows that connected to other pictures of the same symbol.

"Hey... last night, with the uh- the turtles...." April turned to you as she dropped the whiteboard marker, "You, you were like, fighting that one girl? And, you were fighting back when we were going up to the roof. And now you SOMEHOW know what this ancient Japanese symbol means. How?"

You almost spit out the water you'd been drinking, but instead you silently choked and pretended not to be bothered by that comment, when in reality this was what you had been fearing. You were going to say something before about your past, you wanted to warn April, but the thought of Sacks mercilessly killing your sister made you bite your tongue.

"Well..." You struggled. April stared at you with one hand on her hip. "I looked up the Japanese symbol, and the fighting back was... just an adrenaline boost. Ya know?"

April stared at you for a second longer before shrugging, "Well whatever you did, was great." She gave you a smile and you shot one back her way, and a weak one at that. You felt bad lying to your sister.

"Here, let me help." You said as you stood up from your seat and grabbed the picture of the turtles shells, you grinned absentmindedly at one shell in particular before taping the photo to the whiteboard.

"Five minutes...." April mutters as she itches her head. "You got this." You responded with confidence.
A grin was shared between you two sisters, and you went back and sat down, scrolling through files on a computer and getting one ready for Aprils little presentation.

-/——\-

"O' Neil! Alright, what was so important that I had to get here?" Bernadette exclaimed as she burst through the door. You jumped slightly in your seat from the surprise before turning and giving April a little nod.