CH 4 || Braids and Worries

The color drained from my face and my hand instantly shot up to cover my neck. "I just scratched it, that's all."

"Is that a rash or something?" Chris' brows furrowed.

I hesitated. "Or something."

"Like an allergy?"

I squirmed. "Yeah."

"You should check in with a doctor. You wouldn't want it spreading to your face, right?" My heart stopped but he just kept going. "So, how about tonight? I'm getting the booze. From the looks of it, you could use some. You should loosen up a bit, you know?"

The car keys dug into my palm. "I told you I don't have time. Actually, I really need to go," I added with a quick look at my phone. I ducked under his arm and opened the driver's door. Before I could get in he shut it.

A chill ran down my spine. "Chris?"

"I wasn't done talking."

An itching sensation crawled over my neck and the back of my hands. I squeezed the soft skin on my forearm between my thumb and index finger until the pain drowned out the rest.

His breathing had turned heavy and upon closer inspection, I noticed dark circles under his eyes.

"I have to go now, Angie is already waiting," I said carefully.

He was about to say something else when a cheerful voice called our names. Our heads snapped up at the same time, and I let out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding.

My relief was short-lived when I noticed Killian's tall frame right behind a waving Cody.

Chris stepped back. " 'Sup, Cody." His tone was back to normal. There was even a smile on his lips as if his behavior just seconds before had been an illusion.

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I nearly jumped as I saw the time on my display. Shit. I wasn't just late anymore. I was very late.

"Sorry, guys, I really have to go." I pictured Angie in my head waiting for me and bit my lip. I had even sent Sofia a message this morning that I would take care of it. Without a second look at the guys I started the car, put the gear in reverse, and pulled out of the parking spot.

I shifted back in first when my eyes met Killian's over the dashboard. His brows raised as he mouthed, "That's your boyfriend?"

My blood ran cold. So, he did know that I'd lied yesterday...

I gritted my teeth. I had to get a grip. This wasn't the time to be concerned about what the new guy was thinking about me. Angie was waiting.

When I finally got to the school, the skin on the back of my hands felt raw from scratching

When I finally got to the school, the skin on the back of my hands felt raw from scratching. I tapped the steering wheel as I parked the car, my eyes flying over the school grounds. A lonely figure sat on a bench next to the entrance. Her head was downcast, the dark strands hiding her face from view and her arms hugged the oversized backpack resting on her legs.