CH 49 || A Taste of His Own Medicine

Killian's gaze locked on me, and I fought the urge to acknowledge the way his shirt clung to his form and the captivating pull of his eyes. No, tonight I was furious, and it was time he tasted his own medicine.

"And don't start with me about not asking," I said loudly. "I don't like prying okay, but that doesn't mean—why are you smiling?"

He leaned forward with sparkling eyes, the corners of his lips tugging up. "Are you mad?" he asked in that low husky voice of his that made my heart speed up and my toes curl. I had the sinking feeling he knew exactly how it affected me.

"Yes! I'm mad, and you are—stop looking so pleased about it!" I squinted at him, bristling with frustration. "You're mocking me—"

In a matter of two strides, he closed the distance between us, sweeping me off my feet, his lips crashing on mine. I lost track of my trail of thoughts, only vaguely aware that I should push him away—we were in public after all—but damn, he felt so good...

He released me, and my feet returned to the ground. It took me a moment to gather my thoughts, but as soon as I got my bearings, I poked his stomach, getting right in his face. "You're cheating! Can you just not tick me off for once?"

He had the audacity to flash me a smile. "That's good. You look livelier that way."

I stared at him. "What does that mean?"

"I noticed it from the day we first met," he said softly. "You seemed...numb. The only times you showed any spark was when I pushed your buttons. At least then you had some life in you."

"You... You did it on purpose!"

He shrugged, his hands gliding down my arms until they settled on my waist. "I told you, your reactions were always interesting," he admitted. "You don't realize how you appeared. As if the light was being drained out of you. Every time I saw you, it only seemed to worsen. It really pissed me off. And you just let it happen."

How the hell did he even notice all that? "That's not an excuse—"

I jumped as Jared's voice called out, interrupting our conversation. "Tay?"

Killian's face hovered inches from mine. "I really can't stand that guy..."

My eyes darted over his shoulder. Jared could emerge any second. Killian swiftly lifted me, pressing me against the wall, his forehead touching mine.

I leaned in, so close I could taste him when loud footsteps reeled me out of my trance. I pushed his shoulders more forcefully and, this time, he moved back just as Jared stepped outside.

"Tay, there you are—" He stopped abruptly, seemingly noticing the strange atmosphere between Killian and me. "Am I interrupting something?"

"Yes," Killian responded curtly, while I hastily chimed in, "No."

"Sorry, man, we're in the middle of a conversation," Killian said from above my head, not bothering to conceal the disdain on his face.

"Looks more like you're fighting, so I don't think it will be an issue," Jared commented, glancing between us.

Killian's voice lowered. "Oh, it will be. We're not done fighting yet. PT won't be satisfied until she lets it all out and I think we are maybe"—he turned to me, arching an eyebrow—"halfway through?"

Jared stepped forward. "You should stop, man. Especially if it's clear that she hates you."

Um... What the hell was happening? First Suz and Killian, and now Jared?

Killian's hand snatched mine, pressing it against his chest. "Are we done?"

"N-no," I stammered, blushing. "I'm not done with you yet."