CH 16 || Abandoned Puppies

I froze under Killian's hard stare. "Wait...do you need help?"

"No," he bit out.

"I can call an ambulance—"

"No ambulance."

"But—"

His nostrils flared. "Taylor, for the love of God. Leave. Right. Now."

"I—I can call Cody as well."

"Fuck. Off," he said through gritted teeth.

Everything inside me hardened. So he could order me around but didn't want my help? "You—" I started but the words caught in my throat. "Go fuck yourself then," I shot back.

"Right. Whatever."

My feet stayed rooted to the spot. Something dark and shiny covered the ground next to him. It looked suspiciously like...blood. Given his attitude I was better off leaving him to his own but... "Kill—"

"Taylor," he said in a rough tone, his eyes narrowing. "I have no idea why you're here but we both know you're just doing this because of you feel like you owe me one or whatever. So, stop playing nice and leave. I don't have the patience tonight."

My hand went to my hip as I glared right back at him. He thought I was playing nice? And what was he playing then? The asshole? "You know what? I don't think so."

"Just—go. " He raked his hand over his face and glowered at me.

"No can do. A wise person once told me you shouldn't leave abandoned puppies in the rain all by themselves just because they bare their teeth a little, you know?" I put on my best fake smile.

Killian sat perfectly still for several moments. "I know you want to get back at me for that, but this is not the time and—"

"How about you stop talking for a while? I already knew you can be annoying, but damn, you're really topping it today."

"Right back at you, princess. I'm sorry but I can't carry you today."

Princess, huh? He was going to regret calling me that very soon.

"That's fine, I got it. Now get up."

Killian just stared at me, a sarcastic smirk spreading across his face. "I don't think I will anytime soon though. So, unless you're able to carry me off I suggest you give up and—ouch!" I'd stepped forward and pulled his ear forcing him to his feet. "You!"

Albeit he stood slightly hunched, he still towered over me, his discolored face twisted into an angry scowl. We were alone, nobody knew I was here, and I had just threatened a guy much larger and stronger than me, who clearly looked like had just come out of a fight.

A small spark of electricity shot through my nerves, making my body tense.

But this was Killian. He wouldn't lose his temper on a girl or he would have to start trash-talking himself.

I blew out a breath and lifted my chin. "Maybe you should reconsider your choice of major."

He leaned down, his eyes boring into mine. "And why is that?"

Our faces were mere inches apart as I met his gaze, unflinching. "I mean you seem to have the criminal part down by the looks of it but I really don't know about justice."

His mouth curved which must hurt because he instantly grimaced. He drew back and the sudden tension was broken.

Now that I didn't have to strain my neck anymore, he appeared more vulnerable, almost resembling a beaten puppy now.