Epilogue || Best Friend

"I still can't believe you made up some non-existent cousin," I remarked dryly.

Suz and I hung out in her kitchen—or our kitchen now since I'd officially moved in four months ago. The old apartment hadn't felt right anymore. Sofia and Angie had moved out as well and found a place just a few minutes away.

"I still can't believe you bought it either," Suz replied, carefully adjusting a horribly tacky bouquet of white-red roses.

I shook my head at her. Not that I was mad. How could I when all my friends had sat down together to discuss a way to help me? No wonder she had so much information prepared.

"It was a win-win," she continued. "Killian desperately needed something to do, and I desperately needed him to do something. It was the only reason I got him to agree to give you some space and we all agreed that was the right decision—obviously, I know you the best. Besides, I take free dishes any time of the day. I accept your thanks for keeping your boyfriend's sanity intact, by the way."

"Which is the only reason I'm doing this." This was trying to prank Killian. Although I still had no idea what that included.

She met my gaze. "Believe me when I say, he was driving me and Cody up the wall. I have at least fifty more pranks lined up before the score is evened out."

I'd heard a lot of complaints about my boyfriend's antics during the time we weren't talking.

Killian didn't even try to deny it either, so it was hard to argue with that. Then again, Suz probably just used it as an excuse to cause mischief.

"Why don't you try this on Nick?" I asked, eying the golden ribbon intertwining with the blooms. They reminded me of the flowers Chris had given me. I shuddered, trying to rid myself of that memory.

"Nick is too easy. He falls for everything."

"Yeah, and Killian doesn't fall for anything," I pointed out dryly. Which was true. Suz had pranked Nick, uploaded the video, and got nearly a million views in one week. She'd been trying to capture Killian falling for the same tricks, but somehow, he could always tell when something fishy was going on.

"I'm sure this one will work. He always gets so protective, so this is right up his alley."

"And what exactly is going to work?"

"These are for you," Suz proclaimed with a satisfied grin, pointing at the counter.

I scrunched my face, staring at the flowery arrangement. "For me?"

She gave an evil cackle and placed her phone against the cupboard in an upright position, the camera facing our way.

"Time to make him suffer." She held out her hand. "Phone."

"You're having too much fun playing with people," I replied handing it to her.

"He deserves it after ruining my first two attempts," Suz replied, unlocking the screen. Then she took a picture of the horribly kitsch bouquet.

Pranking Killian was like trying to understand quantum mechanics—just as you thought you were beginning to grasp its whole concept, something new popped up, completely defying all logic.

The first time she pretended I thought that he cheated on me, but got instantly defeated when he asked her to hand me my phone back with the words, "Nice try Suz. Go for something more realistic next time".

Two weeks later, she pretended I was with a guy. It sort of went like this. 

BF: I pick you up at seven alright?