CH 5 || A Good Friend and His Sidekick

It was Friday night and against my better judgment, I had somehow let Chris talk me into going to another party at Crescent lake. The team had won against our rival school so basically, everybody was going.

He even came over to pick me up in person. Probably to make sure I wouldn't use driving as my excuse again, but I didn't care. Maybe I just felt guilty, but I had somewhat decided to give this another chance. Today would be better. It had to be.

My shoulders dropped when I noticed Drew and Ben already sitting in the car. Being defenders for the Vikings, PSU's football team, both were near twice my size. I had hoped to get some alone time with Chris, but then again it made sense. They did live together after all.

Drew rolled down the window. "Looking good."

I rolled my eyes. Maybe I had overdone it. I didn't usually like to draw too much attention to myself but for once my face didn't feel as if stretched out. On most days, makeup would just sit on my skin like cracked paint.

Today, silver eyeshadow and dark liner made my blue eyes pop. I was wearing ripped jeans and a cropped pink shirt with long sleeves. Two intersecting lines crossed around my midsection, revealing just a sliver of my stomach. Although it was the beginning of October, it was still above seventy degrees outside. At least during the daytime.

I jumped into the back and my nose scrunched at the mixed scent of cologne that hung in the air. A tightening sensation crossed my skin. I held my breath. When nothing else happened I exhaled. It had been a good idea to take the double dose of my meds yesterday and today. But, just to be sure, I opened the window a little, basking in the soothing cold air that blew against my face.

The guys started talking about the game and I tuned them out. I rarely even showed up to any of them. I'd take video games over football any day.

Around halfway to the lake, Chris stopped at a supermarket. I grabbed a water bottle for myself and ran smack into Cody who was scouting the aisles, a pack of chips in his hands. His white PSU sweater made his russet skin look darker than usual. His face lit up when he spotted me. "Tay, how are you doing?"

I grinned back at him. "Good, and you?"

"Me, too," he said and reached for some snacks. "That all you're getting?"

I looked down at my water and nodded.

"I never see you eat much. You on a diet or something?"

"Oh." I gripped my bottle a little tighter. "Well, I might try one out."

His brows wrinkled and he looked like he wanted to say something else but then decided against it.

"Are you going to the lake as well?" I asked in an attempt to change the topic.

"Yeah," he said and looked around. "You with Chris and the others?"

The way he singled Chris out made me worry slightly that Killian had said something to him, but I pushed the feeling aside. It wasn't like—

Wait a second.

My brows furrowed. If Cody was here that meant... "Yeah. It's probably safe to assume your faithful sidekick is around?"

Cody choked and his hand beat on his chest before his eyes fixed on a point above my shoulder.

A chill went down my spine. I turned to find Killian striding towards us, poker-faced as usual. He hadn't heard that...right?

He gave me a curt nod, but his eyes narrowed in suspicion when he caught sight of the look on Cody's face. "What did I miss?"

Cody chuckled. "Well—"