Editing and Proof reading

Can be tedious, can be annoying, can be the easiest part. It is not as unimportant as you may think.

Especially when you have a Beta who does the most work.

Methods:

Most programmes have a spell checker. While not the best tool, and by far not something that should be your only tool, it is a good help to get started. It is my first step in my editing.

Do not use Grammarly. It is made for formal writing, not creative writing. It sucks the life out of creative writing. Opt for a programme aimed at creative writing instead.

A piece of advice I often hear is, when you proof read, switch to a font you dislike. You will be more critical, due to the negative feelings for the font. I would implement this in my editing routine, if there was a font I hate.

Wait a bit after writing before you proof read. Have fresh eyes for your writing, maybe read something polished inbetween. You don't have to wait six weeks (or was it six months) to do so.

- Text to speech software, our ears will hurt when something is off

Let a text to speech programme read your work. Our ears are the biggest divas and critics, they will pick up on weird sounding stuff or weird grammar. Alternatively you can read out loud yourself. I do this in my editing routine. I use TTS.

Get a Beta Reader or Proof Reader. And allow them to criticize your work. Maybe not a close biased friend. r/Fanfiction has a Beta Reader thread. I do not use a proof reader.

That are the methods I know of. If you know other methods, let me know!