Chapter titles

I want to make the case for why you should title your chapters!

While some of you already struggle to title the fic once, there is a good reason to do it multiple times.

Here are reasons why:

1.) They can provide intrigue:

If your readers follow multiple writers and their works, when they get flooded with updates an interesting title could be a deciding factor for them. A factor you would like to be in your favor.

2.) They can be helpful

Either they help a reader to figure out where they last read or, if you need to reference something, a title opposed to a bland number, may make searching easier.

Now here are some ideas for titles:

1.) Description

The title could tell the reader what the chapter is about

This could backfire for:

2.) Provide intrigue

Or you accidentally spoil something instead.

3.) You could set expectations. Or accidentally spoil your own work. Don't title it "X dies", that is just a spoiler.

Maybe a chapter titled "Beach day" gets followed by "Deep deadly blue". I once named a beach chapter "obligatory beach chapter".

4.) Word play.

Be it a pun, double meanings or alliterations.

5.) Consistency

While this point is the least important, it could be worth considering. Maybe your titles follow a theme.

I once wanted to name a fic "Shades of Green" and all the Chapters just shades, like Jade, tea green (said title would be used for a tea junkie character) and others. But the idea only was enough for a one shot.

Now different ways to name your chapters:

1.) Quotes from Canon

Either you give a quote a new meaning, or explore a throw away line, this style can do a lot of you. Like foreshadowing a familiar element. Maybe in a changed way.

2.) References to other media

Not my favorite (says the person who uses anime character names for background characters) and they could fail readers who don't get them.

3.) Idioms. Unless you struggle with idioms.

4.) Point 3 but you twist them around. Like changing a word to something similar sounding.

5.) Places

But not the actual name. Empathize what makes the place special.

In my Pokémon WIP 'Ghost Whisperer', there is a chapter set in the Viridian Forest. Because the forest is very famous for so called Mindless to be found there, the chapter is titled "the forest you heard so much about" as opposes to "the Viridian Forest".

6.) Objects and features:

Easy thing, but try to make it sound intriguing.

7.) Events

But only if the event is interesting and build up to.

8.) Actions or goals

9.) Warnings

But don't name a fluffy chapter that!

10) Themes or messages

Especially if you like one word titles

11.) Dialogue or prose snippet

Maybe a call back to an earlier chapter?

Just make sure the snippet is relevant.

12.) A character name.

Good for chapters that focus on a relationship. A title if they meet someone important. Or a descriptive title for a villain, like "the king who fell to greed".

Play around with these, use what sticks.

Just keep it easy and in the character limit.