Chapter 2 - Walkie Talkie

(In reworks)

"So they just kicked you out like that?" Ellie would speak, tilting her head slightly as she looked at me, who was sitting on the other side of the campfire from her.

"Yeah." I'd reply

"That's stupid."

"Yeah." I repeated.

"And that's why your name is Three? Because they numbered you all instead of just naming you?" Ellie continued to ask several different things.

"You ask a lot of questions" I replied bluntly "Yes, that is why. They numbered us all by the order we are born. So I was one of the first they chose to teach."

"No need to be so sassy, I'm just curious." Ellie scoffed, adjusting her positioning on the ground "I'm sure you have lots of questions too, which you can ask in a second, I just have one more thing to say"

I nodded in response.

It seemed like the questions never ended, Ellie seemed like a very curious girl.

So that was one thing they had in common.

"I think that it's really dehumanising if we just call you Three the whole trip, since you're coming with us to the Fireflies, and it's a very long trip. I think we should name you" Ellie spoke.

I scrunch my nose, sighing and tossing my head to the side in clear disagreement.

"I'd prefer if you just call me Three."

"And I'd prefer if I didn't, anyways, so last night when I was getting rid of your old clothes I saw a name tag on them." Ellie spoke in an excited tone, building up to the surprise.

"And? It's not like it's actually mine, I got given it."

"And the tag said Y/N, so..."

"So you want to call me Y/N?" I said in an unamused tone.

"Bingo Y/N" Ellie snickered.

I just rolled my eyes, shaking my head, but I didn't really care to fight.

"Okay, my turn to ask questions" I began to speak, lifting up my head as I made eye contact with Ellie, studying her soft features. "I have a lot so get ready."

Ellie sat up straight, nodding with a slight smile
"Ready."

"Are you infected? I saw the bite. Why is Joel letting you stay with him if you're infected? That bite looks like a scar- how aren't you infected? Is Tess your mum? Is Joel your dad? Why are you going to the Fireflies? Why did you guys take me with you? And do I have to go to the Fireflies? I don't want to go." I spat out all in one go.

"Woah. Um, where do I start?"

"I told you I had a lot." I spoke with a small grin upon my face.

"No, I'm not infected, I'm immune which is why we are going to the Fireflies, because they can use me to make a cure. But don't tell Joel I told you, because I wasn't supposed to" Ellie spoke, taking another breath before starting to answer the rest of the questions.

"Tess is not my mum and Joel is definitely not my dad, they are-" She paused for a moment "Were" She'd correct, now that Tess is dead. "Were taking me to the Fireflies in exchange for supplies, just like you." The young girl explains, moving her head back and forth slightly as she speaks.

The two maintained eye contact, though I quickly broke it off. Looking down at the dirt floor of their temporary campsite.

"And Joel said we're keeping you because you are cargo being taken to the Fireflies too, right? That's what you said. So he thought maybe he could get more goods if both of us were handed in together, so yes. You do have to go."