Chapter 9 - River Of Light

(In reworks)

I sat in the loft next to Ellie, she was gripping her gun tightly, whereas I was a little more carefree especially since I knew we weren't in danger. But Ellie always seemed alert, and always needed a weapon in her hands to feel safe.

My head turned towards the door, peaking through the railing as I listened to the murmuring coming from outside. Then the door creaked open and two men stumbled in.

Joel had his gun to the back of the second man. A stubby, old man with short grey hair, slightly overweight too.

He gazed at his wife in the living room seat, where we had told her to stay.

"Why didn't you shoot him?" The old man spoke.

"The gun's all the way over there." She'd reply.

I glanced over at Ellie, eyeing her for a moment before drifting back to the room below us.

"He didn't hurt me, by the way."

"Yeah, I got eyes."

"You made him soup?"

"Yeah, I did."

"It's cold out.'

The couple kept speaking back and forth, before Joel interrupted.

"I'm lookin' for my brother." His gruffy voice spoke, his gun still up.

"Well, I ain't seen him." The old man snapped

"I haven't told you what he looks like."

"Does he look anything like you?"

"A bit." He'd nod slightly

"Then I ain't seen him."

There was a pause of silence. None of them knew how to continue after that.

"He's got a girl with him. Two actually. One feistier than the other"

I giggled, glancing at Ellie.

"She's talking about you little miss snappy" I'd tease, but she didn't even glance at me. She shot up and called down to Joel.

"Can I come down?"

I shook my head, still crouched down.

"No." Joel said firmly, but watched as Ellie began to run to and down the staircase "Ellie!"

I popped up too, leaning over the railing to watch.

"What did I just say?" He hissed at her as she reached his side.

"Joel, come on. They're like a thousand."

"Ouch" I spoke, turning and heading to the staircase as the conversation carried on.

"Who's this little psycho?" The guy chuckled, motioning to Ellie as I reached Joel's other shoulder.

"Never mind her. Or her" Joel motioned between me and Ellie. "I need you to tell us where we are." He'd question, holding out a map and showing it to the man in front of us.

"If you got a map, why you lost?" The lady questioned

"Must've missed all the street signs in the enormous fucking forest." Ellie spat back.

My eyes widened. Has this girl ever heard of manners? I could be salty sometimes, but if I wanted answers or help I'd refrain from cursing out the people I was asking.

"Ho-ly." The man chuckled, pointing down at the map "We're somewhere here."

"Exactly here?" Joel repeated, placing his finger on the map too as the man nodded "And your answer better be the same as your wife's."