Chapter 8 - Friends We Make Along The Way

(In reworks)

"Pew. Pew. As the Raven 01 approaches the red planet." Ellie spoke, quite loudly, reading the comic book with Sam in our room.

It had an amber hue, and it was kind of stuffy.

It was like the rooms we slept in in the Monarch.

I think Ellie had called it a hotel, or a motel or a whatevertel.

I was sitting up in my bed, stitching up my shoes with a needling kit I had found in one of Bill's rooms.

They needed some fixing up from all the damage they'd induced throughout my current travels.

I flicked the dirt off the white converse logo, tuning out the comic book Ellie and Sam were reading on their beds, and trying to listen to Henry and Joel in the other room.

"Look, I don't know exactly how I'm gettin' to Wyoming. I'll probably be walkin'. But, you know, if you want to." I could hear Joel speaking, trying my utter hardest to eavesdrop.

"Yeah." Henry croaked "Um... Yeah, I think it'd be nice for Sam to have a friend. I'll tell him in the morning. New day, new start."

My eyes were beginning to grow heavy, putting my shoes onto the floor and crawling higher up the bed onto my cushions.

I had turned back into Ellie and Sam's conversations, but they were quiet now and all I could hear was scribbling.

"Do I not look scared?" Ellie spoke slowly, my eyes gazing over as she wrote onto Sam's notepad thing.

I still wasn't sure how it worked because I hadn't gotten a close enough look to figure out what it was.

I leaped off my bed and onto the next bed over, Ellie's, and plopped down next to her, watching as Sam wrote back.

Never.

"I'm scared... all the time...of scorpions!" She spoke and wrote at the same time.

I shook my head, unamused.

Sam seemed unamused too, he took the notepad back from her and started writing.

He flipped it around.

When you turn into a monster is it still you inside?

My eyes widened and my heart skipped a beat when I read what he had written.

He slowly pulled up the pants leg on his right, revealing a massive bite on his shin.

"Ah, fuck." Ellie exclaimed in a sigh under her breath before lighting up.

"My blood... is medicine." She spoke, pulling her knife off the bedside table as she reached out my legs.

I grabbed her wrist, having the same reaction as Sam.

"Mm-mm-mm-mm." Sam protested.

"I don't think so, give me the knife" I said, my irises contacted Ellie's as we stared at one another.

"Please." She pleaded, I let go.

"Promise... Promise."

She signed and spoke at the same time for Sam.

She slid the blade across her hand and as the blood started trickling she bent down off the bed, gripping Sam's infected leg with her other hand and pressing her bloody hand to the wound.

I watched intently, he whined at the pain.

"Everything will be alright." She spoke.

"She says everything will be alright"