Chapter 5 - First Fires

(In reworks)

I could feel the glass trickle down my pack, I began to pant.

The voices started coming back to me, and everything stopped being static.

I looked up, feeling Joel's eyes on me.

"Y/N!" He'd yell, ducking his head as he reached his hand back, slapping my knee "Y/N! Are you alright?"

"Yeah-" I spoke out of breath, my head low to avoid the continuous gunshots flying in the direction of our car.

"You're not hurt? Nothin'?" He said, letting go of my knee as I shook my head "You're not either?" He spoke, now looking at Ellie.

"I don't think so." She replied.

I could feel blood slowly trailing down my right cheek, my hand rising to touch it.

The crimson red stained my fingers.

"Belts off. Fast!" Joel yelled in a panic as he unclicked his seat belt.

Me and Ellie did the same, opening the doors on our sides and staying low as we crawled out of the car, hiding on its side from the active shooters.

"Let's see you, motherfucker!" A man's voice rang from outside.

I could feel myself hyperventilating, I wasn't prepared for this.

Ellie pressed up closed to me as Joel squeezed into her on her left so we were all covered by the truck.

"Hey, you see that hole?" Joel whispered to the both of us, but still loud enough that we could hear him over the commotion.

"Can you squeeze through?"

"Yeah." Both me and Ellie replied.

"Last chance!" Another man's voice called "Come out now or we'll kill the both of ya'"

"When I say go, you crawl to that wall, and you squeeze through, and you don't come out until I say, okay?"

Ellie glanced over at me, a shocked look on her face as I shook my head.

"And they're not gonna hit you. Look at me! Both of us! Look at me." Joel demanded, shaking Ellie's shoulder.

"They're not gonna hit you." He repeated "You stay down, you stay low, you stay quiet."

"Mm-hmm." Ellie murmured, she was scared and I could tell.

I had to take the lead on this one for the both of us.

"Okay." I said, wrapping my arm around Ellie's and clamping my hand into hers.

"Okay." She spoke, her eyes now on me. Looking me up and down as she gulped.

"Go!" Joel yelled at the both of us as he turned, beginning to fire his gun over the car at our attackers.

As soon as the words left his mouth I was up on my feet, dragging Ellie behind me as she ran after.

Our shoes clunked on the concrete floor as we aimed for the hole in the wall, quickly crawling inside.

My eyes floated around the open room, it was big, and dark.

"Y/N!" Ellie hissed, pulling me back against the wall next to her.

I grunted slightly as my back hit the wall, finally letting go of Ellie's hand.

My eyes flicked over to her.

"Do you have a gun?" I'd ask in a huff.

"What?"