Chapter 4 - An Algea Bra?

(In reworks)

"Gas breaks down over time. This stuff's almost water." Joel explained to me as I watched him pump out the gas into the large red can.

Ellie began to walk over to both of them, her backpack sitting low on her back as she started listening in on the conversation.

"Back in the day, we'd drive 10, 12 hours on one tank."

"You could go anywhere?" Ellie joined in.

"So where'd you go?" I asked, piling onto Ellie's question, not that I really knew where they could go, or what there was to do. But I was enjoying learning.

"Pretty much nowhere." Joel replied.

"Nice!" Ellie spoke in a sarcastic manner "How does that work?" She'd continue, pointing at the function the man was using.

"It's a syphon."

"It's when liquid..." He'd pause, really thinking about how it worked so he could answer the young girls question "travels against gravity"

"- because pressure..." He'd continue before Ellie cut him off.

"You don't know."

"I know it works." Joel spoke angrily.

My eyes were drifting between the both of them, if Ellie hadn't interrupted I totally would have been fooled. I didn't understand anything, so I'd believe whatever I was told.

I was starting to understand that myself.

I needed to learn things fast, so that nobody could fool me.

Ellie turned, and so did I.

At this point, I would roam where she did.

We were about to move off and explore the surroundings, since curiosity was one of our downfalls, when Joel's voice boomed.

"No wandering."

"Okay." Ellie spoke as we both turned back to Joel "This is your fault then."

"It doesn't matter how much you push the envelope," Ellie began as she pulled a book out of her bag, holding it up as she read. "it'll still be stationery." She'd giggle.

I looked at her weirdly, a confused look spread across my face.

"No Pun Intended, Volume Too by Will Livingston." Ellie continued, holding up the book and pointing to the title.

"Volume Too. Look. You get it? "Too"? Like, T-o-o." She explained.

I still looked at her with a disappointed face, not very amused by her jokes.

"Jesus." Joel sighed, looking back at the car as he pulled out the tube and capped up the can full of gas.

I grew closer to Ellie, peaking over her shoulder as I pointed to one of the other jokes, reading it out loud.

"What did the mermaid wear to her maths class?"

"An algae bra." Ellie blurred out the answer as I began backing away with a confused look, not very sure what the joke meant.

"Like, algae bra." Ellie burst out laughing, explaining the joke to Joel and I.

"I stayed up all night..." She'd start again, an amused tone as her voice rang.

"No." Joel attempted to stop her.

"Wondering where the sun went..." She'd pause dramatically "and then it dawned on me."

I actually felt myself giggling at that one, I understood it. It was stupid, but it was still funny.

"Feel free to wait in the truck." Joel grumbled to Ellie.