Chapter 16 - Pretty Girls Alight

My forehead pressed to the cold tiles, my hands cupped over my ears as I rocked back and forth on my knees. It hurt. My head, it hurt so bad. Ellie's hand rested on my shoulder blade, I could hear her begging me to get up. "Y/N! Y/N! Come on, we have to find a way out! He's coming!" She yelled.

I looked up, my vision becoming spotty again, probably from all the lost blood. My eyes filtered to Ellie's her eyes wide and scared as mine returned the same look. There was no comfort anymore, how could we comfort each other when we were both so scared?

The door to the room flung open again, two men walking in, one of them being David. They approached the cage in a rage, unlocking the door and running in. They went for Ellie, knowing I was incapable of fighting back. They grabbed one of her arms each, I watched as she kicked and screamed. "Get off me! Get off!" But her fighting was useless, even if these men were skinny.

I tried to get up, but the ringing in my ears and the throbbing of my head made it excruciatingly hard. They dragged Ellie out of our cell, slamming her down on the same table I had seen the human meat off before, except the second man had thrown it off to make room for the little girl they were about to chop up.

I couldn't stand, but I could crawl. The blood pooled up in my mouth again, spitting it out onto the floor in front of me as I too begged. "Please, please! We'll join you! We'll help you!" I cried. It was too hard to hold my head up now, meaning I had to drop it to the floor, my forehead meeting the blood I had spat out. David grabbed my ponytail, lifting my head up. From the corner of my eye I could see the other man pinning Ellie to the wooden table with his hands and a massive chopping knife, one that could cut her head off with one swing. "It's too late for joining us now pretty girl, you and your friend already showed me what you really think." David grumbled before letting go, causing my head to smash into the tiles, only sending yet another shockwave of pain all over.

I heard his footsteps move away, then a crucifying yell that only meant death. I felt something splatter over me, even though I was far away from the sight of the stabbing. I rolled my head, rendering me to see what had happened. I saw the butchers knife in the side of that man's neck, watching him gagging and falling against the wall. Ellie ran out of the room, not even bothering to check on me. Good. Maybe she could actually survive this. David bolted after her, firing shots at her with his pistol. He had forgotten about me, which was lucky otherwise I would've landed a bullet through my skull.

Everything went quiet for a while. They had only been gone for a few minutes before I managed to pick myself to my feet. Stumbling and grabbing onto anything stable I could find I got myself out into the hallway. It was empty. Ellie must of made it out of the building. My fingers trailed the wall as my other hand cradled my shoulder, feeling the bullet holes lodged into the plaster that had been fired by David, hopefully every single one of them had missed Ellie.

My entire body ached. I reached the front door of the building we had been kept in, it was wide open. The glass on the inside of the frame had been shattered, most likely by the excessive force that had thrown it open, just like when I had thrown open the door to our hiding house. I hope Joel was alright. I pressed my eye shut for a second, leaning against the doorframe to take a rest before I remembered where I was. It was hard to stay focused on my survival skills at the moment when it was fixed on so many other things. Not only that but the lack of blood flooding my body probably wasn't helping.

I limped out of the building, ducking in between an alley way. We had been taken to a massive town, which was covered thickly by snow. I had been right about a heavy falling, because the fog was so thick I could barely see three metres in front of me. How on earth was I going to find Ellie in this? I needed to protect her. I needed to know she was okay.