Chapter 6 - Endure and Try To Survive

(In reworks)

"Joel." My throat croaked, beginning to sit upright in my sleeping bag.

I could feel almost a sinking feeling in my stomach when the man clicked his gun back, forcing me to stop attempting to sit up.

My eyes flicked over to Ellie, then to Joel in panic.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself.

"Eyes on me. Eyes on me." The man spoke.

I turned my head again, he was talking to Joel, who was for a moment searching the room for his gun.

"You don't have to worry about what to say." The man began to speak again, though he didn't sound calm. He sounded panicked and concerned too."We don't wanna hurt you. We wanna help you."

"Okay." Joel replied, no expression in his voice and no emotion in his eyes.

It really seemed like he was plotting something, but then again I'd like to think he wouldn't try and pull something while each of us have a gun to our heads.

"Okay, um... I don't know what the next step is
with something like this, but if I lower my gun... we didn't hurt you... so you don't hurt us... right?" The tall, skinny man said.

Though it was dark I had tried my best to study his features, a habit I was quite fond of actually.

"That's right." Joel grumbled, his dark hazel eyes looked empty in the dim light.

"That's a weird fucking tone, man." The man replied, a nervous croak in the back of his throat.

I agreed, it was a weird tone, but it was also his normal tone.

"That's just the way he sounds." I butted in, trying to defuse the situation and comfort the guy with the gun to all of our faces before he shot one of us, something Joel obviously wasn't keen on.

"He has an asshole voice." Ellie followed my words, "Joel, tell him he's okay." She'd plead with the gruffy man who was sitting up in the bed now.

Ellie was on her knees in the sleeping bag, hands up in the air like me and Joel. Her brunette hair drifted down, almost covering her eyes due to the bed hair.

"Everything is great." Joel responded, once again with zero emotion.

"Dude." Ellie sighed in an irritated tone, me shaking my head, agreeing with her little words.

I can't believe I'm going to die just because the man I'm following about was stupid enough to be a dick during a dire situation.

"Fuck!" The man yelled, shaking his gun as he tossed his head. His eyes were dark in the light, just like Joels, but he had more MERCY in them. Maybe he could teach Joel.

"Okay... listen... I'm gonna trust you."

"Yes." I replied for Joel, eager for the truce.

"But if either of you guys try anything..." He'd tap his gun with the other gun in his hand, implying he'd shoot us. "Yeah?"

He then lowered the gun, making the uncertain feeling in my stomach lighten up and almost float away.

We weren't out of the clear yet though, because I still had nothing to defend myself, I had glanced to my left side (where I keep my pistol) earlier when I woke up and it seemed they'd taken it.

Obviously. They'd be stupid if they hadn't.

"Yeah." Joel grunted, "Can I sit up?"

"Yeah." The man would speak nodding, using his fingers and hands to signal to the little boy, who was yet to speak. But now I realise why.