15. You Call That A Kiss?

Søren's POV

"You know your mom called me yesterday?"

Looking up from my book, I scowled at Callum, not liking where this was going.

"For what exactly?"

Callum was amused, taking a bite of his apple with a child-like glee. "She told me that the last time you two talked you seemed like you were hiding something so I should check on you."

I closed the book, my focus gone entirely

I closed the book, my focus gone entirely. "What?" So much for trying to escape my reality through ink on paper.

"She told me that the last time--"

"I heard you," I sighed. "I don't understand how she would even know I was hiding something."

"Moms always know," He leaned his head back on one of the couch pillows and closed his eyes. "They're psychic or something."

The last conversation I had with my mother had been about the beans she'd been growing in her garden and how Lillie had been giving her stress because she was going out later at night these days.  She told me to talk to my sister--which I did--and Lillie said the same thing she always did when Mom was on her case. She's being dramatic and won't let me live my life.

I tried not to get in the middle of those two.

"What did you say to her last time you spoke?"

I shook my head. "Nothing much. She did most of the talking."

"Maybe she found your silence suspicious," He smirked, raising both brows.

"I really don't need this right now. I'm going to tell her...on my own time though. There's too much going on right now."

"Your Mom is going to kill you."

"So you've said," I looked out the living room windows and found Sam napping on one of the pool chairs, his golden fur shining in the sun. Where the hell was Dink?

"What do you mean by that anyway? I thought things were going fine with Minnow." He wiped the smirk off his face and sat up, giving me a look.

"We have our immigration interviews coming up soon and we don't know shit about each other. She's been...distant, which I expected but...I'm still not used to it. I don't think we'll be able to convince anyone that we're together."

"Of course, you won't," He added.

"Gee, thanks."

Standing up and walking into the kitchen, Callum spoke loud enough for me to hear from the living room. "You're still hung up on her and she still hates your guts."

He switched to a different language quickly. "Dere to må både sette dere ned og komme opp med en overbevisende historie. Kom over all dritten fra fortiden. Finn en måte å gå videre på." (You two need to both sit down and come up with a convincing story. Get over all the shit from the past. Find a way to move forward.)