28. Divorce and Hydrangeas

Entry #23
3 yrs ago
1/18

It's about you

It's always about you

I'll always go back to you

******************************************

Minnow's POV

I opened the back door, hoping to slip in and out. My spa weekend with Whit had been so nice and relaxing, I felt like I could actually think straight for once.

Maybe it was because Søren and I had patched things up on his birthday. He had sent me morning messages the past two days and good night texts before I went to bed both nights.

It was weird that I missed him, right?

I wasn't sure where my feelings were and I tried not to think about it. It was weird to have feelings for him. Aside from the fact that he was my fake spouse, he was also my friend.

Things were finally normal between us.

But sometimes when he looked at me, or the way he kissed me left me a little confused.

I wondered if he felt it too.

Sabina had called and asked if I wanted to go jewelry shopping with her and I told her I'd meet her in an hour.

I placed my purse on the kitchen counter when I heard the patio doors open.

"Minnow."

My brows deepened in surprise as I turned around and found my dad walking into the kitchen, Søren closing the back door behind him.

"Papí?"

We met beside the island counter, his arms wrapping me in a big hug. Her familiar smell of books and aftershave greeted my nose, making me feel nostalgic all of a sudden.

"What are you doing here?" I said, pulling back. "I didn't know that you were coming."

"Yeah, he showed up unexpectedly," Søren said, wearing a fake smile, one my dad couldn't see. "We've been waiting for you."

"Yes, the house is very nice. Søren's been showing me his garden."

My brows raised. "Oh?"

"Yeah, apparently I have weak vegetation practices and should stick to hockey," He said with a salty tone.

My dad's grey brows pinched. "I simply said you're practices are a bit European. Instead of separating your vegetables, you should allow them to--"

"Okay, Papi," I said grabbing his hand. "What are you doing here? I doubt you came all this way to talk about gardening. Everything alright? Tatie Mona stressing you out with the wedding or...?"

He sighed, his expression forlorn. His eyes wouldn't meet mine as he placed a hand on my shoulder. "Sweetheart why don't we sit down."

Already, my heart felt uneasy.

"I-Is it Grandmére? Is s-she alright?" I stuttered, my stomach tightening. I could see Søren's eyes on me, concern etching his features.

"Oh, no dear. Your grandmother is alright." He led me over to the breakfast table and sat down beside me.

I exhaled in relief. "You're scaring me."

"Should I leave you two to um...?" Søren was already moving to the living room.

My dad looked at Søren with a bit less irritation. "You should probably sit with her."

It must've been bad if he'd said that.