19. The Interview

Søren's POV

I tugged at my tie, feeling the heat from the sun burning at my neck. My stomach felt tight and I needed to sit down.

I wore a cotton white dress shirt with a tie and a black jacket, matching my dark dress pants. I felt silly in the loafers I would typically only wear on game days.

Beside me Minnow was in a navy blue floral dress, her heels bringing her a few inches closer to just above my shoulder. She looked way less stressed than me.

 She looked way less stressed than me

It was official, we were doing this. Now our lies were going to be documented by an immigration interviewer. I tried to ignore the amount of effort it seemed to take me to simply breathe.

"Skejeggstad," I heard Davis' voice clip. He stood in front of us, dressed in a suit, a Bluetooth earpiece attached to his right ear. "Focus."

I nodded my head, realizing I had zoned out at some point in this conversation. The three of us were standing outside the building where we'd be having our interview. Davis called and said he wanted to speak to us before we went in.

We had finally posted a message photo of us on my Instagram making it official. The photo didn't give away whether or not we got married, but just confirmed that we were together.

It was a photo of me hugging Minnow from behind, a smile on my face. Whitney had taken it for us and without context it looked real. If you present when the picture was taken you'd see Minnow's heel pressing into my foot.

"You guys are going to do just fine." I think he was saying it to reassure himself more than us. "Don't embellish too much and let the conversation flow easily." He handed me the necessary paperwork and I looked down at the folder, feeling the weight of our lies in my hand.

I could feel Minnow's eyes on mine but I didn't turn to face her.

"Remember you got married before the full 90 days because you two were so in love that you couldn't wait that long," Davis reviewed.

"I think we're good," Minnow gave him a thumbs up. "Our appointment is in like 10 minutes."

Davis exhaled and nodded his head, looking down at the ash fault.

"Don't worry okay," She stepped towards him and placed a hand on his arm, her voice light. "We're ready and you've done all you can to help prepare us. Thank you."

I didn't understand how she was so confident, so calm about this.

She leaned in to give him a kiss on the cheek and he gave her a brief hug. "Alright, you kids call me once it's over. If all goes well, you won't have to have more than maybe two interviews total."

We shook hands and said our goodbyes. I watched as Davis got into his Porsche and pulled out of the parking area.

"Come on. We're going to be late."