35. Surprise Encounter

Søren's POV
9:11 a.m.

The car ride back to the house was a silent one. Like neither of us knew what to say.

We had shared a night that would fully change everything and I was convinced my heart had grown two sizes bigger.

And this morning...well, I was not expecting that.

My mind was fresh with questions now. What were we going to do now? How were we going to act around each other? Was that just sexual for her?

We both ignored the fact that we'd both gotten emotional during sex. I wasn't sure if that was normal, I'd never had my eyes well up during it before.

And once I pulled up into the driveway, I was certain that we had to talk about this. There was no way I'd be able to focus on anything else.

I put the car in park and she unbuckled grabbing her bag from the floor.

"We should talk," I started.

"I agree," She finally spoke, her voice timid. She looked down at her purse in her lap, her gaze unfocused. "I think we should just agree to keep what happened between us...between us."

"Of course." It made the most sense.

"And we'll just leave it at the hotel, right?," She swallowed and sat up, this time looking at me.

I surveyed her face, looking for any sign that she didn't want this. But she seemed calm and casual about this whole thing.

So it was just me who felt that last night?

Embarrassment burned my face and I nodded, clearing my throat. "Right."

An awkward pause sifted between us and I quickly got out of the car needing some space. I could still smell her on my skin, feeling her body burn against mine. My mind forced images of her, dark brown skin bare, beneath me. I ignored the immediate heat that flooded my body, blaming it on the summer sun above us.

I barely made it through the garage door, Minnow a step behind me, when I heard a shrill of laughter. Wait a min--

"You are funny," I heard an older woman's voice say. I recognized the accent, the tone, everything.

"Mom?" I walked into the kitchen and watched, at the breakfast table with Whitney, and my little sister Lillie was my mother. All 5'10 inches, high cheekbones, slim figure, and long blonde hair and green eyes.

I faltered, wondering if I was imagining things. Minnow stopped behind me, nearly running into my back.

My mom was up with open arms. "My baby boy!"

I was crushed within seconds, her lean body engulfing me and my throat grew dry, immediately choking me up.

I was always going back home so when she came here it was always nice.

"Mamma, hva gjør du her?" (Mom what are you doing here?")

She pulled back and looked up, her eyes twinkling. "Overraskelse!" (Surprise!)

Lillie stood and came over to the both of us. She'd grown since the last I'd seen her, her short blonde hair now reaching her ears. "Mamma kunne ikke vente med å se deg. Med bryllupet kommer snart og alt." (Mom just couldn't wait to see you. With the wedding coming soon and all.)

)