Chapter 10 - The House Assistant

I bought my house in 2013 after the previous owner had done a significant remodel the year before. While I found the home comfortable, I was ready to make my own improvements after living there for about five years.

The biggest project was to replace the worn-out carpet in the three bedrooms with wood flooring. I'd been using my parents' faded old living room and dining room sets, so it was time for new furniture. The garage was stuffed with unused furniture and other odds and ends that had belonged to my parents, so many items needed to be purged. Finally, the bare backyard needed landscaping.

After careful consideration, I chose to begin with the flooring. Soon after I made that decision, I was reading my emails on the computer one day when I opened a routine blast from Pinterest. Unsurprisingly, the message contained about twenty pictures of Alan. As I mentioned in chapter 7, I'd looked at photos of the actor on Pinterest in the past. That prompted the app to send me daily emails containing numerous thumbnail-size images of Alan. I'd seen most of the pictures many times before, so I would usually delete the blasts after a quick glance.

This time, however, one image in that day's email stood out. Instead of a photo, the thumbnail displayed an address in large white print against a blue background. I didn't recognize the street address, but I noted the city was London. Since every other image was of Alan, I wondered if this had been the actor's home address. If so, what was it doing in a Pinterest email?

Curious to find out more, I clicked the thumbnail. The link directed me to a property listing for a high-end apartment. More than a dozen photos on the site showed multiple rooms beautifully staged for sale. The property had been listed in February 2016, a month after Alan's death. I scrolled slowly through the photos and felt Alan's energy in every room. This must have been his home. I finally got confirmation halfway through when a picture of the kitchen popped up. It was the same kitchen I'd seen in a photo on Pinterest where Alan was posing for the camera with a child.

The home was gorgeous, and what stood out the most to me were the beautiful wood floors in every room. It's possible I noticed them simply because I was preparing to purchase new flooring. However, I'd been working with Alan long enough to know that he was adept at using the Internet and digital files to convey messages. Seeing photos of his London apartment right before fixing up my home wasn't a coincidence.

I was, literally, floored. At that point, I spoke out loud to Alan and invited him to join me at the computer. When the older man appeared in my mind's eye, I told him I thought his home was stunning. Seeing the photos made me feel I'd joined the ranks of the privileged guests he would invite to his home. I felt honored to be given this peek at his private space. He wouldn't have shared something so personal if he didn't trust me, so I told him I appreciated that.

Although Alan said nothing in response, I suspected he wanted me to know he'd renovated properties in this life. I sensed he was proud of his work. He may have been too bashful to admit that, fearing he might come across as egotistical. I told him not to feel that way.

Then I picked up on something else: He desired to help me with my house projects. Because spirit guides work with our free will, they can't impose on us. While I didn't require Alan's assistance with my home improvements, I appreciated that he cared and wanted to help.

So, I gave him permission to guide my flooring project.

I told Alan I wanted to obtain quotes from a big home improvement store as well as a small flooring company recommended to me by a property manager. Alan suggested not wasting time with the large store; he wanted me to work with the small company. The outfit had a good reputation, so I trusted Alan.

After looking at numerous flooring samples in their small showroom, I picked out grayish brown vinyl planks that resembled wood. Two weeks after placing the order, the owner called to say that the product was back ordered and wouldn't be available for three months. So, she recommended I choose something else.