17. i know him

𖦹

𖦹

              THIS WAS NOT ANY of the teens first choice on how to spend their day. Like some screwed up family trip, three teen girls plus Carl have been stuck in the back of the Honda with Michonne driving and Rick in the passenger seat.

Carl is squished in the middle of Koa and Sadie. Nellie has her body pressed against the right side door, trying her hardest not to touch anyone but it's proven hard. Her thigh is flushed against Sadie's while Sadie's own body is in pain thanks to the contorted position she's in.

Koa tried to stay back. She really did but Carl pleaded for her to come. And who is she to say no to him? Her biggest soft spot. So, now she's stuck in the car with her sister who hasn't spoken to her in a few days but she knows the girl has something to say. The big ol' elephant in the room.

The death of their Uncle Shane.

Michonne speeds down the abandoned road, leaves kicking up with the tires of the vehicle. Nellie has her head against the window, trying to ignore the painful bump that happens every so often. A figure appears in her vision down the road. Once they're close enough, they all realize it's a man pleading for help. He's got a big orange backpack on, waving his hands.

He attempts to keep up with the car, yelling, "Slow—I'm begging you!"

But no one speaks, no one stops or asks to stop the car. All the teens just watch as the man becomes a dot in their vision, falling to his knees in the middle of the road.

Sadie and Carl both keep their eyes on him even as the others look away. Koa sighs, guilt building on her chest but she understands why they didn't stop. Could be a trap and....they have a lot more to worry about. Some random man on the side of the road is not their problem. Nellie glances over at her mother in the mirror.

If only she had done the same thing at the helicopter accident, maybe their lives would be easier. Or if she had never offered Andrea help, Nellie knows they'd be living a much easier life now.

    Finally, Carl and Sadie look away, sharing a pitiful glance towards each other.

    They drive some more and come to a pile up in the middle of the road. It's easy to go around but what they drive past makes their stomachs churn.

Blood is smeared across a red, small car that has luggage and other various things strapped to the top of it. When they reach the front of the car Koa instinctively goes to cover Carl's sight while Sadie does the same to Koa. It's too late. They've all already seen the brutal scene.

The body in the driver's seat is bloody and unrecognizable as a human being. The skin is charred, falling off the bones that once made up a face someone loved. They drive past the scene but it's engraved in the teen's heads, something Sadie will more than likely have nightmares about.