18.

ღ⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇ღ

millie and chris went into the diner hand-in-hand, scanning the tables. the brunette girl saw her best friend and summer sitting at one of the booths, and she pulled chris in the direction of them. the four of them greeted each other as they both sat down, and then there was a moment of silence.

''you look so pretty, millie.'' summer said.

''thanks.'' she smiled shyly, pulling the hood from her head.

''i remember when i used to wear that coat.''

millie's smile faded, and she turned to chris. ''seriously?''

he shook his head slightly, and she nodded once, understanding what he was trying to say. she never wore that coat...she was trying to start drama for no reason. for a second, millie wondered if chris was lying but if it came to trusting summer or chris, the brunette boy was going to win every time.

chris looked at summer and jayden. ''you guys are dating now?''

''yeah.'' jayden replied, and then paused. ''you're cool with it?''

''of course.'' chris answered, putting his arm around the girl next to him.''i have millie now.''

millie rolled her eyes, looking at jayden. ''what time did you get home last night?''

''about three?'' he said questioningly, looking at summer for confirmation. she nodded, and he looked back to the brunette. ''yeah, about three. what about you?''

''i don't know...i don't remember getting back to the triplets-''

''you stayed over?'' summer asked, interrupting the story.

she nodded. ''yeah, i slept on-''

''in my bed.'' chris said quickly. ''she was drunk, so we didn't want to drop her home.''

jayden nodded. ''thanks for taking care of my little sister. she can never handle her drink.''

chris physically felt millie slump under his arm, a small sigh escaping her lips. it wasn't even his fault, but chris felt guilt swirling in his stomach. everybody could see summer getting mad, but jayden didn't even care. he was just lent back in his seat, talking normally.

chris didn't want to, but he actually liked jayden. he treated millie with such respect, like she was the only girl in the entire world to matter to him. he liked that...he just wished jayden didn't steal his girlfriend, and he wished that he would love millie in the way she deserved.

''so you guys are best friends?'' chris asked aloud.

jayden nodded. ''yeah.''

''ever been more?''

''chris!'' millie said sharply, pulling away from him.

''what? i'm just asking!'' he replied, looking at jayden. ''you're not blind...you can see how hot millie is.''

''my girlfriend is right here.'' jayden reminded him, putting his hand on summer's thigh.