28.

ღ⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇ღ

the two of them went back to the triplets and went to chris' room. he cleared the stuff from his bed, and they both sat at the end of it. it was quiet for a few moments, both of them thinking about what to say, and then chris looked at her.

''if i say i did you a favour, would you kill me?''

she glared at him. ''what the actual fuck are you talking about?''

''summer and jayden are broken up! that's what you wanted...right?''

millie looked at him in disbelief and then stood up. ''screw this.''

''no! okay, i'm sorry!''

''i told you - i don't like jayden like that anymore! i liked you, and you ruined it!''

''i didn't ruin it! we can still make it work!''

''after you said that?!''

he shrugged. ''maybe.''

''you're an asshole!''

''no, millie, i'm just real!''

''real?!'' she echoed, laughing slightly. ''you led me on, pretended to like me-''

''i do like you!''

''-made me like you, and then made out with summer! how the fuck is that real?!''

''i messed up, millie!'' he yelled. ''let it go!''

''no!''

he looked up at her as he stood up. he began to walk towards her, but she moved back. she expected him to stop, but he didn't, and so neither did she. the two seemed to be in a weird sort of dance for a few moments, and then millie felt the coldness of the door pressed against her back.

''don't come near me, chris.''

he stopped but the distance between them was small. both of their breathing was heavy, the air was full of tension - both good and bad - and they were searching each others faces for a hint of an emotion that proved they didn't want to argue.

''why are you acting scared of me?'' he asked, his tone full of pain.

millie felt herself weaken. ''i'm not scared of you, i'm angry at you.''

''i didn't mean to do it, millie!''

''oh, so your lips just accidentally fell onto hers? your tongue accidentally slipped into her mouth? you accidentally told me you liked me and then went and kissed your ex? grow up, chris!''

that last part hurt.

chris grew furious, but he didn't really know who he was furious at. he was angry at millie for not hearing him out, angry at summer for kissing him, angry at jayden for pulling her away when he needed to talk to her, and he was angry at himself for betraying and hurting the girl standing in front of him.

but all of the anger subsided when he looked at millie.

he was suddenly overcome with emotion, and he began to cry. ''i'm sorry, millie.''

''chris, don't-'' she replied in alarm.

but he didn't stop. he wiped his eyes angrily, willing the tears to stop, but he couldn't help it.

all of millie's anger disappeared as she pulled him into a hug gently. she lent against the wall so he could fall into her, and that's exactly what he did. he buried his head in her neck, and she trailed her nails up and down his arm soothingly, allowing him to cry.