Chapter 7- A Hero!

Anjali's eyes misted as she read the reports

Anjali's eyes misted as she read the reports. She had suspected that she was pregnant but had been erring on the side of caution. The news overwhelmed her. A tiny miracle was taking shape in her womb. Her fingers gently traced her womb. She was going to be a mother. The realization humbled and scared her at the same time.

Anish came out of the washroom, drying his hair. He was in a hurry as he was getting late for work. He rushed to grab his clothes, but stopped when he saw her crying. The thought of work deserted him immediately. He discarded the towel and reached for her immediately, "Kya ho gaya Anju, why are you crying?"

Anjali looked up. She could see the concern in his grey eyes. She cupped his face gently. They had been waiting for it to happen for so long. When they decided to have a child, she had learned that she had polycystic ovarian disease. It delayed their plans significantly. She had to change her lifestyle, her food habits, cut down on the sugar that she loved so much, follow a rigid diet; in the end, it was all worth it.

"Anju....."

Anjali grabbed his hand and placed it on her womb. Anish's eyes widened in shock and then in happiness. He hugged her before he could start crying. It was the best news he had ever heard in his life. "I love you, Anju." His voice was heavy with emotion.

Anjali deepened the embrace. She was too high on emotions to voice her feelings, but words were not necessary. Anish was familiar with her every heartbeat. He pulled back and quickly wiped his eyes. It was a moment of joy. They needed to share the news with their family. He wished his father had been alive. He would have been thrilled by the news. They had lost him after a long battle with cancer. He had died a happy man, but he had only one regret. He never got to see his grandchild.

"Papa aaj bohot khush honge, Ani," Anjali cupped his face gently. "Aaj unka sapna poora ho gaya hai."

Anish blinked off his tears. She was right; his father would be very happy. It was not time to dwell on what-ifs. Their child deserved to be celebrated.

"Chalo sabko batatey hai," he held her hand and dragged her outside. He could not contain his excitement. He was going to be a dad. He wanted to scream it out from the rooftops. He wanted the whole world to know that he was going to be a daddy. Abeer was the first person they encountered. He was talking to someone on the phone, yelling at them for some reason. Anish grabbed the phone from him and disconnected the call.

"That's my agent, Anish......"

"Bhad me gaya tera Agent, Abeer," Anish handed him the phone back, "yell at him later. First congratulate me."

"Kaunsa aisa phadh toda hai tune ACP? Could that not wait a minute......."

"Tu maama bane wala hai."

"So what, you idiot....." He shut up when he processed the words, "Mama." He gasped.

"Yo bro! I am gonna be a dad! You are going to be an uncle. Can you believe it......."

Abeer looked at Anjali; she could hardly meet his eyes in embarrassment. He gently pulled her into his embrace. He was going to be an uncle. His eyes filled up. That was the best feeling in the world.