Chapter 8- Struggling with Reality!

Adarsh sat in silence, his eyes trained on the pale blue walls

Adarsh sat in silence, his eyes trained on the pale blue walls. The soft, ambient lighting from the lamps was comforting, but Adrash could not be at peace. Saakshi Khurana observed him silently. She had known him for years, but she realized she knew nothing about the man at all. Who exactly was Adarsh Goinka? The man who she had known was the patriarch of the Goinka family. That man never faltered. He had everything planned. He did what was expected of him. He always put his family first. The man who had married her friend had been a model husband. She had always respected him but thought of him as too perfect. Somewhere she blamed his perfection; if he had had some flaws, Abha would have been able to live with him without feeling guilty. If he had in some way chastised Abha for what she did, she might not have been so overwhelmed by his love. But the man had not said a word to her. She did not understand how anyone could be so gentle and kind!

Now that she was meeting the real Adarsh Goinka, her head was spinning. It was like she was meeting a completely different Adarsh. This new Adarsh had no filters. He spoke what he felt, and he did not hesitate to call a spade a spade. She was surprised he was silent. Usually, he started complaining the moment he came in. He was unusually silent. His amber eyes reflected his turmoil, something else she would not have seen in the old Adarsh. The Ice man!

"Aaj kuch bologe nehi Adarsh?" Adarsh looked at her as if he was seeing her for the first time.

"Kya hua? Itne pareshaan kyun ho?" She spoke gently. Over the past few sessions, they had dropped the formalities. The new Adarsh was very outgoing and friendly. He made friends very easily. In the three years she had known him, he had hardly shared a few words with her. The only conversation they ever had was about Ayaan. This new guy just did not know when to stop talking. She knew everything about him, starting from his love for Star Trek to his siblings! She knew every tiny detail about his life because he chose to share it. Would the old Adarsh do that? She was very confident that he would not.

"Sab kya chupa rahe hai mujhse Sakshi?" He looked her in the eye. Sakshi was startled by the question.

"I can see it, Sakshi. The way they fall silent when I step into the room, the way Abeer always nudges me along, discouraging me to ask questions. The way they are not letting me out of the house, not letting me use my phone... I know my family, Sakshi. I know Abeer. They are all hiding something very big. Something they think might hurt me. Something that I may not be able to accept."

"Why do you ask, Adarsh?" Saakshi framed her question carefully. "Maybe they are not hiding anything..."

"I can take the truth, Sakshi," Adarsh cut her off gently. "Whatever it is. Truth is better than any facade. I want to know what happened during these five years. Abeer tells me that he was hardly ever home; he talks about bhabhi's pregnancy as if he had dealt with it all on his own. He named his daughter after our mother!" His voice closed off.

Saakshi was surprised by the information, but she did not let the shock show. "It's natural for a son to want to name his child after his mother, Adarsh..."