24. Dinner

It was the first time this week that I didn't go to the student council office after classes ended. Instead, I was on my way to meet my little brother.

I was really surprised when he invited me to dinner earlier. Did he miss me too much after a week? I was relieved that my lovely brother was still here, despite his newfound maturity.

I was using the GPS on my smart watch to go to the location he sent me because, despite staying inside the academy for two years, I have never been around this area. And it was only after I reached the place that I understood why I had never been here before.

This area was a place that only rich students could afford. I soon found my brother in front of a brightly lit restaurant, and I was shocked to see the name on the sign.

'The Empress'

Everyone inside the academy has heard of 'The Empress'. It was the most luxurious restaurant in the academy, where they only served premium food.

"Al, why are we in front of this luxury building?"

"I asked Sylvia to reserve a good restaurant for us, but I never would have guessed that she would choose a top-notch restaurant."

"There's no way I can afford this place, so let's go somewhere else."

"What do you mean? I'm the one who invited you, so don't worry about the price. Come, let's go inside."

I was left completely silent after his words. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't say anything. I just followed him, and I was amazed by the interior, which was much larger than I imagined from outside.

The tables were set up sparsely enough to be considered a waste of space. And the walls were decorated with colourful crystals.

"Cat, this way!"

Al also looked around from time to time, but he didn't look intimidated by the extravagant.

After we sat down, a staff member came and gave us a menu. When I saw the price of the food, I could have fallen unconscious. The food was more expensive than everything I was currently wearing. I looked at Al worriedly, but he just smiled and placed an order for both of us.

I already knew that he was getting a lot of money from his theory, but as his big sister, I couldn't stop myself from being worried.

"Are you sure it's not a waste to spend so much money on a simple dinner?"

"What do you mean by a simple dinner? It's the first time we have eaten outside since I came here. So I think this place is actually perfect."

His words made me remember the past, just before I started my first year in the academy. He kept crying, asking me not to leave him alone, but when I told him that it was necessary to attend the academy, he promised to do his best to join me as soon as possible. I then realized that maybe his change was because of me. He tried his best when I was away, and I couldn't believe that I was actually doubting his sudden growth.

I could feel my eyes watering, but I wiped them quickly before any tears could form.

"I'm sorry, Al."

He didn't even ask why I was apologizing and simply gave me a warm smile. A smile that meant the world to me, and at this instant, I promised myself to always protect this smile.

"By the way, how's your work with the student council?"

"It's very tiring, but don't worry; the president always takes good care of me."

"Oh, how about the vice president?"

"We don't have a vice president. Well, actually, we do, but he never participates in any meetings. He just causes trouble every day and never helps with the huge workload we receive from the academy. So he is only the vice president on paper."

"It's not nice to say bad things about me behind my back, Cathy."

***

A tall, dark-skinned male with blonde hair was approaching our table. He was walking with a majestic allure, and two beautiful ladies were accompanying him on each side. I could already guess his identity because of his resemblance to Silas Avongus.

I noticed Cathy's face, which was radiating pure happiness a moment ago, switched to a look of annoyance and irritation.

"Everything I said was fact. So if you think they were bad, then maybe you should try changing your behaviour."

Samuel completely ignored Cathy's remarks and looked at me. "Hi, I'm Samuel Avongus. I suppose you are Alex Fawn, Cathy's younger brother, and the genius everyone is talking about."

I kept looking at him without replying. The individual in front of me was a character who wasn't supposed to be here. I didn't know anything yet about his true personality or his goal, so I decided to observe him for now since his existence was going to disrupt a lot of my plans for the future.

"Look what you did, Cathy. Because of all the bad things you said about me, he isn't even greeting me."

"You are just getting what you deserve."

"Oh well, that doesn't really matter. Alex Fawn, we shall meet again soon."

With that, Samuel left with the two beautiful ladies by his side. But I was able to learn a few things from his interactions with Cathy. It didn't matter how much Cathy was disrespecting him because he wasn't affected at all. He had a confident expression, as if he weren't afraid of anything. And I could guess one reason for that: he had a powerful backer.

Someone from the academy who has enough power to let him enjoy his life as freely as possible. And I was certain that it was the same person who prevented his accident.

A satisfying smile suddenly appeared on my face. I was placing the pieces of the puzzle together inside my head, and I suddenly realized the identity of his backer.

"Cat, why is the president keeping him in the student council when he is only causing trouble?"

"Hmm, President told me that she needed his status as the first prince to achieve her goal. I don't know exactly what it is, though."

"Have you talked about me to the president?"

"Yeah, I did. Remember when you submitted your theory? Because of your sudden change, I thought that you weren't really my brother, but after talking about it with President, she made me realize that it was completely normal. I'm sorry for doubting you, Al."

"It's alright; I would also have some doubt if I were in your place. But how exactly was the president able to convince you?"

"It was easy because I really trust her."

Now it makes sense. I did find it strange that Cathy didn't react strongly to the change in my personality, but someone else had already cleared up all her'misunderstandings'. I was getting really excited the more I learned about the president of the student council.

"Can you arrange a meeting for me with the president? I really want to thank her for helping you."

"Actually, the president already told me that if you ever wanted to meet her,I should bring you directly to her. Wait, let me send her a message first."

So she already predicted my action. How interesting.

"Alright, she said to meet her at her office after our dinner."

***

I was finishing some reports when I heard a knock on the door. "President it, me."

"Come in."

"I'm sorry for skipping work today. Here's my brother Alex."

"It's an honour to meet the president of the student council."

"Cat, do you mind if I have a private conversation with him?"

"Of course not, President. Al, I'm going to my office to complete some work. Call me when you finish talking with the president."

After Cathy left, the white-haired boy remained where he was without moving, and I could see that he had a mischievous smile while staring at me.

"Why don't you take a seat, Alex Fawn? Or should I call you Loic Ferblanche?"

[A/N]
From now on, I will only publish 4 chapters per week. Every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday at 20:00 UTC.