The Bad News

A shy smile forms on Karlie's lips. She affectionally brushes her face against Taylor's cheek and Taylor chuckles at her adorableness.

"Is that a vampire thing?", Taylor asks, touching the spot where Karlie rubbed against.

"I'm marking my scent on you", Karlie grins "So people know we've crossed paths and they aren't to mess with you"

Taylor stifles a laugh and touches her nose to Karlie's neck before kissing her shoulder "Does it work with humans?"

The girl smirks "Of course. But I'm not sure my mother will be too pleased to smell your skin against mine"

This statement causes Taylor to pull away and stare up in concern. Karlie shakes her head to imply that it's nothing to worry about. She stands and offers a helping hand to pull Taylor to her feet.

"She will think I'm a vampire like you?", Taylor asks, anxiously.

"She will for a few sniffs. And then she'll begin to get a whiff of your flesh in my clothes or maybe she'll hear the mortal blood coursing through your veins when you visit", Karlie leers waggling her fingers in front of face for effect and narrowing her gaze.

"Karlie, stop it. You're spooking me", Taylor whines, playfully punching at the girl's forearm. "Woah, you're really well built", she huffs, moving her hand back to feel at Karlie's defined biceps.

"Yeah, she-vamps tend to build muscle around my age"

Taylor nods in interest and then shyly curls a lock of her hair behind her ear "Shall we head back home? It's getting late"

Karlie nods "And I have a few things to tell you"

~*~

Karlie is curled up on the rug in front of the fireplace as usual. Her cloak hangs ominously on the front door next to Taylor's. It's reaching ten past eleven and soon everyone will be taking to their beds. The new kitten is being lovingly bottle fed by Andrea in the kitchen - who was surprisingly very calm about the whole situation. Meredith, however, is still adjusting.

"Will you stop with the hissing, you meanie", Taylor scolds the cat who is hiding under the table by Andrea's feet and leering at the new arrival.

"Jealous, that's what she is", Andrea tuts and continues to scratch the kitten under the chin. "This 'un better do a better job at catching the rodents that she does"

"Meredith could catch a rat if she tried. Couldn't you, Mer?", Taylor coos. The cat yowls as if to approve.

"I'll look after Olivia. You and Karlie don't stay up too late now", Andrea says, standing up with the kitten in her arms.

"You have named it Olivia?", Taylor smiles, pleased that this went so well.

"Always was a pretty name, I thought. And it suits the darling, doesn't it?" Andrea turns the little cats sleepy, milk clotted face to prove her point.

After she says her good nights and throws an odd look at Karlie by the fire she ascends the staircase to her room. Taylor patiently waits for the door upstairs to close. Once the soft click of the shutting handle is heard she strolls over to Karlie by the fire and sits cross legged on the rug behind her.

"You're like Meredith or something", Taylor says with a breathy laugh. Karlie is in somewhat of a foetal position facing towards the fresh flames. She's studying the fire intently and picking at the thread in the old rug. Taylor grows self conscious as she wonders what she could be thinking about after their eventful walk. She coughs a little and then places a hand on Karlie's side, squeezing it gently to gain some attention.