Chapter 10: Just the beginning

As I was in class listening to Mr. James rant on about equations and functions. I couldn't help but think about Devin.

Its been three days and he hasn't been in school.

Im so worried what if something happened to him.

"Lexi" Mr. James called.

"um, yes"

"Instead of daydreaming, maybe you could answer this question...how do you graph a linear equation" he asked

I went blank. The class stared at me.

I hate when they stare, just as much as I hate being called out.

"I would advise you to pay attention, this will be on your test" he said.

I nodded at him, as he continued to rant on.

I had notice people were snickering and saying comments about me. So immature.

After class we had headed down to lunch. I hate sitting alone.

I didn't even feel like eating, so I threw my lunch away and stood in the hallway.

"Devin, where are you" I thought

As I stood there thinking, I had notice the hall lights started to flicker on and off...then completely off.

I started to get scared.

"Who's there"

But no answer.

I looked to my left, then to my right. Whats going on.

I began to tremble, so I ran towards the school entrance, but the doors were locked.

"You can't escape" he said.

I looked around and saw none, so I ran to the cafeteria where everyone was to get help. But when I got there, everyone was gone.

As I stood there stunned, The evil painter appeared in front of me.

I stared at him. Didn't flinch, nor blink or move.

"And we meet again" he said.

Finding the strength to talk I said "What do you want"

He came closer to me, and I began to back up slowly until I was backed against a wall.

"Where's Devin?" he asked.

"I-I don't know"

He didn't stay anything, instead he stared at me and stared back at him.

I wonder why he wears a mask. Is his face that horrible to show.

He began to smile at me.

"You know...why would he just leave you by yourself, knowing I could kill or even kidnap you at any given time" he said as he sat down on the table.

"Oh-no, what is he going to do" I thought.

"Im in such a predicament" he said.

"why do you want to kill me?"

"Lets just say, there are things you don't even know" he said.

"Like what?"

"Dont question me, little girl, besides...thats for you to ask Devin himself" he said

I stayed quiet. Thats easier said than done.

"I'll tell you what. Why don't you come with me to my palace. There I can teach you things beyond the powers you have now, then-"I cut him off

"NO!. I won't go with you anywhere. your evil and I refuse to be apart of that"

He stared at me as he stood up.

He waved his hand in front of me, and swung to the other side of the cafeteria, and in doing so, my body flung over and my back hit the wall as I fell to the ground.

He walked over to me and said, you will become evil, Ha-ha, there is no doubt about that.

I laid there in pain. "Devin" I whispered.

I lifted my hand and not knowing how I did it Lightening came from it and struck him.

He bounced back and landed on top of the table.

"Woah...seems like my gift didn't yet progress through your body like last time" he said

"Gift, what gift"

I began to slowly get up.

"Well, I guess you can say it's a curse" he said.

"What curse?!" I demanded to know what he was talking about.

"The nightmare my dear. The nightmare" He said as he began to fade away.

"WAIT"

But he was gone, and surprisingly the cafeteria and everything was back to normal.

"This is just the beginning" I whispered