Chapter 1: A New (School) Year

"BEEP BEEP BEEP," the dumb alarm clock repeatedly nagged. Groaning and slapping the alarm clock, I sat up in bed and woke myself up. Then, after yawning, stretching, and getting the crud out of eyes, I looked at the time, which read 6:00 am. I know it's crazy to wake up this early, but I live 15 minutes away from school, and I still have to clean myself up from working yesterday, since I didn't get the chance because of working until 1 in the morning.

*Today's the day, Abi,* I thought to myself, *the first day of junior year.*

For those of you that don't know me yet, my name is Abigail Danielle White, but all my friends call me Abi, or sometimes Danie if they're messing around. I live with my dad, who you'll probably meet later on. Now, you're probably wondering about my mother and if I have any siblings.

Well, to start, I have 2 older brothers. The oldest is Hunter, who's 32. He's happily married to my 1st sister in law, Angela. They both gave me my beautiful niece, Alaina, who they named after Lauren Alaina. Angie loves Lauren Alaina and her music, so she named my niece after her favorite singer from American Idol.

In the middle, there's Chris, who's 25. He's also happily married, but to my other sister in law, Katrina. These two gave me my wonderful nephew, Scotty. Like Angie, Kat loves American Idol, but she loves Scotty McCreery instead, so they named my nephew after her favorite singer from American Idol.

Now, about my mother... she was killed in a car crash. The only thoughts I have to put in about that is that I miss her like crazy and my family hasn't been the same since she passed.

Now, back to reality, after taking a shower and drying off, I slip on my silky, lavender robe and head to my closet. It's not huge, but it's big enough to walk in a few steps. After putting on my undergarments, I decide to wear a pair of washed out, cut off jeans that hit about the middle of my thigh and my favorite shirt from Hollister: it's sky blue with brown extended sleeves underneath a bit that extend out to my elbow that says Southern Cali on the chest in fancy letters. Now, if you haven't seen any shirts from Hollister, there's almost always a seagull or two on them, which this one has three.

Once that was done, I went back to the bathroom to brush my hair, deciding to leave it down, and apply a little make up. Just the basics, really, a bit of mascara, watermelon chap stick, and Red perfume is pretty much all I need for me to be satisfied. Next, I put in a pair of dangly earrings that have those flat, plastic circle things that you see on a lot of shirts (not the reflective ones that make you look like you're from the 70's, but the ones that're usually on the trim) and a knacked flint cross that belonged to my mama. Then after slipping on a pair of boot socks, I grab my favorite pair of Tony Lama cowboy boots. They're black with a century square toe and silver crosses and other fancy designs making it look like the crosses have wings.

I'm now feeling ready, so I grab my school bag, purse, phone, and car keys and head downstairs to make breakfast. But first, I have to check on my dad in his office. As usual, he's passed out on the floor with a dozen empty whiskey bottles on the floor; some broken and some not. I can tell that he drank mostly Jack Daniels and Evan Williams, but there's a couple of Southern Comfort and Crown Royal bottles on the floor, too. And he even has cans of Bud Light, too.

"What happened to you, daddy," I sighed quietly, "why do you have to waste yourself every night these days? What happened to promising us you wouldn't do this sort of thing?"

I picked up the empty and broken bottles and threw them away, then made him a cup of coffee when I was done, setting it on his side table for him to drink later. I look at the time and realize it's already 7 o'clock. I know that doesn't sound bad, but I promised everyone I'd meet them at about a quarter after 7 and before school started. Grabbing a package of Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts from the cabinet, my phone vibrates in my pocket, which scared me half to death as early as it is. The person that texted me is lucky that I'm not gonna kill them, though.