Chapter 5: Football and Bonfires

~The Next Day; After School~

The first football game of the season is tonight against Morris. Our boys had better do good tonight, or the bonfire won't be worth anything. The bonfire starts at 11:30 tonight, so people will probably go out and party first.

Before I begin, I should probably say what "the bonfire" is. It's basically school tradition that started with my brothers Charlie, who were also on the football team. Every Friday night home game, the football boys would come out to our house and meet up there before we all went back to the woods behind our house for a bonfire for several main reasons. The first was to celebrate, but that's only if we won. The second was to go over key strategies that either helped them win or that they could use this next game to help them win. The third was bonding time with the team, which helped Coach Leeland's philosophy of the team being like a family. And the last was to unwind the stress from the previous week and get settled into the weekend... that or Coach's training session from hell if there was a loss.

And over the years we finally had a set of ground rules that anyone that attended the bonfire couldn't do.

1) No drugs, tobacco, or alcohol. Mainly so the boys don't get kicked off the team or have the double training session from hell if they get caught. The whole thing from my dad only started four years ago.

2) everyone is assigned to bring something and help clean up, but the hosts are in charge lf setting it up.

3) Keep your hands and eyes off of the baby sister... aka me. I'd abolish that rule, but Travis and I's brothers still come to the bonfires since everyone on the team practically loves them.

Anyway, I head back to the house to get ready. But when I get there I see a note on the door.

Cheer for Travis tonight, he needs it. Love ya, baby sister ;)

-Chris, Hunter, Lea, Charlie, and Wen

Obviously, they want me to cheer for him. I don't even know why when he completely and utterly hates me these days, anyway. Oh well, who cares?

After throwing the note away I head up to my room and get ready. I've been told not to go all out on these things, but I'm gonna, anyway. I head to the bathroom and touch up my basic makeup before I paint CHS on my left cheek and a paw print on my right cheek in blue, white, an black face paint. After that I find Chris's letterman jacket from when he played football that he forgot to take with him when he moved out and put it on. Once satisfied, I head back downstairs and fix a PBJ sandwich (with strawberry jam... I've never been a fan of grape. Not that I don't like it, I'm just not a fan of it) when I hear my phone go off.

Hey, grle, u goin 2 the game 2nite? -Stacey

DUH!!! -Abi

Wnt us 2 sav u a seat? -Stacey

As always -Abi

Will do, cptn! *salute* -Stacey

Once that text was finished, I took a bite out of my sandwich when I get a call from someone. Now, have you ever left your phone in your pocket and it vibrates so hard when you get a call or text, it startles you? Well, that's what happened to me, except I almost choked on a piece of my sandwich in the process. Whoever's calling me better have a good reason to be. As I pick up, I try to swallow, but that just makes it worse, so now I'm choking even more now, except now the person on the other end of the line can hear me.

"Abs, what's wrong, are you okay," the person asks. Eventually, I manage to swallow and clear my throat to talk again.

"Yeah, I'm alright," I replied, "unless choking on your sandwich is a bad thing."