Chapter 22: Can't Take It

TRAVIS'S POV

Abi's in a coma!?! Will she be able to wake up? Will she remember us after this? Will she remember that we made up and she and I are dating now?

"Travis," Wen kept saying. After about the fifth time, I finally snapped out of it and just broke down. I couldn't risk losing Abi again. I couldn't risk losing the girl that I loved my entire life. And at that moment so many memories of us flooded into my mind.

AUGUST 15, 2002

"Mommy, do I have to go to kindergarten," I asked.

"Yes, Travis," she replied, "Wen, Lea, and Charlie went through the same thing you are."

"But what if Abi isn't in the same class as me?"

"There'll always be after school, lunch, and recess."

"What if no one else likes me?"

"I'm sure a lot of people will like you. Now let's go."

AT SCHOOL

My teacher's name is Mrs. Farley. So far almost all of the seats are taken, and Abi isn't here yet. I really wanted a class with my best friend. Sure, she was a girl, but she's still really cool. And if people think I'm gonna catch her "cooties," then they don't know what they're missing out on. I think Abi is the only girl that can't spread cooties. As Mrs. Farley is introducing herself to class, someone knocks on the door. When the door opened, all I could do was smile. I've been waiting for the girl in a flannel shirt tied up with a tank top underneath, washed out jeans, cowboy boots, and a braid to come in the classroom.

"I'm sorry I'm late, Mrs. Farley. My brother's car broke down on the way to school and I'm not allowed to walk by myself."

"It's okay, dear," Mrs. Farley replied, "so what's your name?"

"A-Abigail."

"Alright, miss Abigail, why don't you sit next to Travis?"

"Trav has this class, too!?!" She then proceeded to explain that I was her bestest friend and I couldn't be happier. She then rushed in to sit next to me and I though that this was going to be the best school year ever.

JULY 7, 2004

Abi was in the kitchen, baking a cake for mom's birthday, when I decided to go in and bug her for the fifth time in the past five or ten minutes.

"Can I help you, please," I asked her with probably my best puppy dog face.

"No, Trav, your mommy told me that I was responsible for making her birthday cake, and you know that I can do this by myself," she replied. Geez, girls can be so bossy.

"C'mon, Dani, can't I do something," I asked again.

"Fine, go get me the sugar, but don't call me Dani," she replied. Finally! So I got what looked like sugar, but Abi just got mad at me when I tried adding the sugar to the cake mix. So she bopped me on the head with her spoon, and I could feel that there was now sticky cake batter in my hair.

"What was that for, Abi," I asked.

"You were gonna put salt in the cake mix, dummy," she replied.

"Well, that's what you get for not letting me help." That's when I saw the flour sack on the counter and took a handful in each hand and and gave her an evil look. Then I threw the flour at her while she threw eggs and salt at me. We were doing this for so long, I forgot that I was trying to bug her I was having fun with my bestest friend in the whole wide world and that's all that mattered to me.