1

I heard my bedroom door open. I opened my eyes, the familiarity of my bedroom easing my worry. It's nothing, I told myself, closing my eyes.

A creak made me open my eyes. I flipped over, and that's when water covered me. I screamed.

A laugh followed, "Time to get up, sunshine."

I opened my eyes, and I glared at my least favorite brother, Nathan. He was smiling like a doofus, clearly amused by what he just did.

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" I screamed, yanking my now soggy covers back. Nathan took off out of my room, and I followed him, rounding the sharp corners.

When I jumped off the last stair, a pair of arms wrapped around me. "Brael-why are you wet?" my oldest brother, Kyle, asked.

"Where's Nathan?" I demanded, struggling to get free.

"Basement. Why?" he asked.

"He threw a bucket of water on me while I was sleeping!" I exclaimed.

Then, Kyle began laughing. I broke free of his grasp, and I started slapping his chest. "Shut your face! It's not funny!" I yelled.

He calmed his laughs. "Just go get ready for school. I'll take care of Nathan."

I groaned, "Fine." I stomped back up the stairs to take a shower.

This is a great way to start the day, I said to myself sarcastically.
××××××
I walked out the front door, swinging my bag over my shoulder. "Good morning, sunshine!" My best friend, Emilee, exclaimed, leaning out the window of her small punchbuggy.

I got in, and mumbled a small, "Hi."

She raised her eyebrows. "Well, someone is on their period."

"If you know what I've been through this morning, you would understand," I replied, shoving the seatbelt into the buckle.

"Did Nick eat your Fruity Pebbles again?"

"Nope."

"Did Nathan put flour in your hairdryer again?"

"No."

"Did Nathan put hairdye in your shampoo bottle?"

"No, he did that a month ago," I said. "Today Nathan poured a bucket of water on me while I was in my bed."

"Eh, that's not that bad," Emilee said, coming to a red light.

"Yes, it is. Now, I have to sleep in Kyle's bedroom if my matress doesn't dry by the time I go to bed tonight."

"Kyle's bedroom isn't that bad."

"He leaves his dirty clothes on the floor, and I once found a moldy sandwich under his bed."

"Well, it could be worse."

I looked at her as she hit the gas. "How?" I asked.

"You could be in Nathan's room," she said.

I shuddered. "You're right. It could be worse," I said.

She pulled into the school's parking lot, and she nodded. "I usually am."

I grabbed my backpack from beneath my feet and unfastened my seatbelt. "You're ego is higher than my self-esteem."

"I know," Emilee laughed. I got out of her small car, shaking my head.

"Hey, baby," I heard a familiar voice say then saw Marcus, Emilee's boyfriend, walking toward Emilee.

He wrapped an arm around Emilee's waist and planted a kiss on her lips. "Gag me," I said.

Marcus sent me a smile. "If I didn't know you as well as I do, Braelyn, I would think you were gay."

"Thanks, Marcus. If I didn't know you as well as I do, I would think you were using Emilee as a cover up your relationship with Xavier. Oh, wait a minute. You are," I shot back.

"That's basically what I said."

"At least what I said was true."

Emilee laughed, "Guys."

The bell rang, and I shrugged. "I have first period with your boyfriend by the way. I'll tell him you said hi," I said to Marcus.

"Tell him I can't wait to see him tonight, too," Marcus replied as I walked away.

I turned and gave a mock salute before making my way to first period.
××××××
I walked out to the courtyard, and I plopped down onto the soft grass under my favorite tree. I picked up my poisoned pizza and took a bite. In one bite, all the cheese came off my pizza.

"Well, that's nice," I said with my mouth full.

I opened my book to the page I left off on, and I took a bite of my no-longer-pizza-but-bread. I placed my pizza down and picked up my bottle of tea.

I took a long guzzle then finished off my pizza.

All while reading.

Weird, right? Well, I didn't have a life, so I picked up weird skills while reading.

I finished off my pizza and tea a few minutes later. I popped a tic tac in my mouth then leaned against the tree.

Then, I heard the sound of footsteps coming towards me. Please don't bother me.

A shadow covered me, and I looked up from my book. A pair of lips crashed onto mine. It lasted for a second before the guy walked off. He looked over his shoulder, and my blood began to boil. Ridge McCain just kissed me.

I marched up to him, something I'd never thought I would do, and I grabbed his shoulder, swinging him around. Then, I slapped him. "Never do that again!" I exclaimed.

Anger flashed in his eyes, and I gulped. Oh, boy. What have I done?