38

The day school ended was hectic. Everyone was excited, chattering about their plans for the summer, and the teachers didn't make us do any work. We got to whatever we want.

That being said, Emilee and I decided to stay outside. I leaned against the oak tree. "How are you and Marcus?" I asked.

"Working things out," Emilee replied. "How are you and Ridge?"

"Haven't talked to him. Still thinking about what to say to him," I said, picking at the grass.

Emilee sighed, "You're going to have to talk to him sometime. Braelyn, we can all see you miss him. We can see everything behind that fake smile."

"Then, what should I do? Forgive him? Tell him not to worry about it?" I asked.

"To be fair, you did forgive Jared."

I looked at her. "It took me a year, Emilia," I said, using her first name. She knew that made me mad.

"Hey, don't take your anger out on me, Braelyn. You asked, and I gave my opinion," she said. "You miss him, Braelyn. No one in the world can tell you what you should do. It's your choice. Your life. Not ours. We are not you."

I groaned, "God, I hate when you're right."

"Doesn't everyone?" Emilee laughed.

I smiled and looked around the courtyard. Many people were out here, including Ridge. He sat alone, leaning against the brick wall, and he had his eyes on me. I looked away.

It's hard to still love someone after they hurt you, but the problem was that you still loved them. Everything would be easier if you could stop, but it didn't work that way. I hated everything about the situation, but one thing was true. I was still in love with him. I loved him with every breath I had.

But I couldn't trust him not to hurt me again.
××××××
I decided to walk home after school to try to clear my mind. As usual, it didn't work. A car pulled up beside me. I looked, and the window rolled down. "Hey, Xavier."

"Do you need a ride?"

I looked around then shrugged. "Sure," I said then rounded the car and got in.

"What were doing walking?" Xavier asked as he pulled away from the curb.

"Trying to clear my head, but it didn't work," I said.

"Ah, I know the feeling," he replied. The car fell in silence for a few moments then Xavier broke it. "There's something I need to tell you."

I looked at him. "Okay," I said.

"I've been needing to tell you for a while."

"Well, tell me," I replied.

Xavier parked the car on the side of the road. "Braelyn, I-I'm in love with you," he said.

I froze. "What?"

"I've been in love with you for about a year," Xavier went on. "That's why I wasn't around for a very long time, and I'm sorry. It's just that it hurt seeing you with him, but you were happy. I didn't want to mess that up. I know you don't feel the same way about me, but I just needed to tell you. It was time to tell you."

I sucked in a breathe. "I don't know what to say," I said.

"You don't have to say anything. I just wanted you to know that I'm here. I'm always going to be here. If you ever need me, I will be there. I don't want to see you hurting like you are now. I don't want to see you cry. Formal broke my heart. You don't know how bad that hurt me, and yes, I exploded. You deserve so much better than him.

"You deserve a guy who's going to love you with every breath he has, and will do his best to keep you happy. You deserve a guy that'll treat you like you always needed. You don't deserve all of those jerks that just want you for another notch on their belt.

"Braelyn, I'm that guy. I'm always going to be that guy. I'm always going to be waiting for you to wake up and see that. I don't care if it takes years. I'm not going anywhere."

I didn't know I was crying until I felt a tear drop on my hand. "C-can you take me home?" I finally asked for what felt like a lifetime.
Xavier sighed and nodded. The car ride was silent, and when he pulled into my driveway, I got out and ran inside up to my room. I shut the door, locked it, and dropped to the floor.

Xavier was in love with me, and I didn't know how I felt about that.