20

I stared up at the pictures on my ceiling; my tears dried up. Emilee laid with me. "Have you told Ridge?" she asked.

"Have I told Ridge what?" I asked.

"What Jared did," she replied, sitting up.

I sighed, "I just told him that he cheated on me if that is what you mean."

She shook her head, giving me a knowing glance. "You know exactly what I mean, Braelyn."

"No, I didn't tell him about the party," I replied, placing a pillow over my head.

"And the box?" she asked.

I shook my head. "No, I just want to forget about Jared. He's in my past."

"Throw the box away then," Emilee suggested. "It's a start."

I took the pillow off of my head and forced my eyes to Emilee's. She gave me a nod. I grabbed the box from under my bed and ran my fingers over the lid. I suddenly felt angry. Angry at Jared for breaking my heart. Angry at myself for holding on to him. Angry for him for coming back.

I stood up and made my way to the trashcan outside. Emilee followed me, and I threw the box inside. "I'm so stupid," I said.

"No, you're not."

"I am. After everything he did, I still loved him," I said.

"Exactly, loved. Now, let's go over to Marcus'. He has food, video games, and lots and lots of things to throw," Emilee said.

I followed her to the car and got in. The ride to Marcus' house was quiet; the radio was the only noise. I made my way into the garage, where he usually was. Marcus sat in one of his bean bag chairs, playing Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

"Hey, ladies," he greeted as we sat down.

"Sup," I said, grabbing the controller out of his hands.

"Hey!" he exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes. "Just shut your face, Pretty Boy. I need to shoot something."

I fired the gun at one of the enemies, a head shot. He fell to the ground, and I saw another guy rounding my right side, shooting at me. I ran up to him and knifed him.

"Someone is getting better at this," Marcus said.

I scoffed, "I could kick your butt at this game. The only one who needs to get better is you."

"Oh, please."

"Wanna bet?" Marcus said. Emilee plopped herself into Marcus' lap, enjoying our dispute.

I nodded. "Yeah, I do."

Marcus picked up another controller. "Let's do it," he said.
××××××
"I hate you!" Marcus exclaimed, throwing his controller onto the couch.

"Why? Because I killed you eighteen times in a span of thirty minutes?" I asked.

Emilee was laughing, and she nudged Marcus. "Pay her."

Marcus angrily handed me a fifty. "Nice doing business with ya," I said, stuffing it into my pocket.

"I'm home!" I heard Xavier say. My stomach turned. This day could not get worse.

"This isn't your house! You can't just walk in here when you feel like it!" Marcus called back.

The door to the garage opened, and Xavier stood in the doorway. His eyes landed on me. "Hey, guys."

"Hey," Emilee said, but I went back to playing the game. Marcus and Emilee looked back and forth at us.

I looked at them. "Got a staring problem?" I asked.

"What happened, guys?" Emilee groaned.

"Nothing," Xavier and I said at the same time. We made eye contact, and I broke it within a second.

Emilee rolled her eyes. "You're both lying," she said.

"Em, drop it," I said.

"Fine," she said. "Who wants pizza?"

I shook my head and stood up. "I think I'm going to head home."

"Do you want me to take you?" Emilee asked.

I shook my head. "I need the fresh air. I'll see you guys tomorrow," I said, making my way toward the garage door.

I walked outside. It was almost dark. The sun was setting behind the trees, giving off a warm, orange and pink color. It was beyond beautiful. "Braelyn."

I turned and found Xavier. "What?" I asked.

"Look, I'm sorry about earlier," he said.

I crossed my arms, sighing. "I should be the one sorry. I shouldn't have blew up on you like that."

"No, you had every right to. I haven't been around," He replied.

"But you won't tell me why," I groaned.

He shook his head. "I'm not ready to. I will soon, Brae."

I nodded. "Bye, Xavier."

"Bye," he replied with a small smile.

I walked home, feeling a little better.