29

Braelyn's and Emilee's hairstyles for Formal:

Spring Formal was here before I knew it

Spring Formal was here before I knew it. After school, Emilee and I went to get our hair and makeup done. We sat in the chair and talked while they washed our hair. "So, you didn't tell Ridge what your dress looked like, did you?" she asked.

I laughed, "Just the color, so he knew what color tie to get."

She laughed, "I did the same thing to Marcus. He was so mad," she said.

A thought crossed my mind. "Is Xavier coming?" I asked.

"Yeah, but he doesn't have a date. He said he wanted to be solo," Emilee replied.

The ladies dried our hair then sat the chair up. "Oh," was all I said.

"Listen, Braelyn, I know Xavier and you haven't been on the best of terms, but just know that he was here before Ridge was. He's always going to be here for you. Things are just complicated for him right now," Emilee said.

I nodded. "I'll keep that in mind."

About two hours later, Emilee and I got to look in the mirror. I was blown away by how great my hair looked. It was in an updo, curls falling gracefully around my face. My makeup was done beautifully. I went for the natural look with lip gloss that tinted my lips, and eyeshadow that brought out my eyes without being too showy.

Her hair was curled with a braided crown. Her makeup was also beautifully done. It was just as extraordinary. "You like?" the hairdressers asked.

"Like is.understatement," I said. "Thank you. You guys are really talented."

The two hairdressers smiled, and we went to pay for it. I handed the cashier the money, and Emilee and I made our way out the car. "We have an hour to get dressed," Emilee said.
××××××
I waited upstairs anxiously. Nick wasn't going to Formal, but to a party instead. Nathan was going, though, with Nina. She was nice and very pretty. One of the best girls he had dated. I just hoped he didn't break her heart.

"Braelyn, Ridge and Mrs. McCain are here!" Nathan called. Mrs. McCain wanted pictures of Nathan and Nina, too.

My heart thumped in my chest as I opened my door. I made my way to the top of the stairs, and butterflies filled my stomach. This is so cliche, Braelyn. Get a hold of yourself.

I took a deep breath and started down the stairs. I looked up as I reached the landing, and everyone stared at me with awe. Ridge had his mouth wide open, but other than that, he looked very stunning.

He wore a black tux with a light blue, bow tie and a white dress shirt. His hair was it's usual style, but it went well with what he was wearing. Ridge looked me up and down, and I bit my lip.

"Do I look okay?" I asked nervously, feeling like I didn't pull it off.

"You look stunning," Nathan said, nudging Ridge.

"You look more than stunning. You look extraordinary," Ridge finally said.

I let out the breath I didn't realize I was holding. "Braelyn, you look beautiful," Mrs. McCain said.

"Thank you," I said.

"Pictures!" she exclaimed. Nathan, Nina, Ridge, and I all got together for the picture. Then, she split us up: Ridge and me, Nathan and Nina, Nathan and me, Ridge and Nathan, and finally, Nina and me. The last two were the guys putting the corsages on Nina's and my wrist.

When it was finally done, I could see stars every time I blinked. Nina laughed, "Your mom is pretty cool."

Ridge smiled. "Thank you."

A honk came from outside. "Calling for Ridge McCain and Braelyn Sawyer!" I heard Emilee yell.

I looked at Ridge. "I thought you were taking me."

He smiled. "Marcus and Emilee wanted all of us to go together," he said.

I looked at Nathan and Nina. "I'll see you guys at the dance."

"Okay," Nathan said. Then, he smiled. "You do look great, sis."

I smiled. "You're not so bad yourself, bro," I replied. Ridge and I went out the door and made our way toward Marcus' Range Rover. We hopped in, and I looked to my right. Xavier swallowed, staring at me.

"Hi, Xavier."

"Hi," he said. "Wow, uh, you look, uh, great."

"Thank you," I laughed. "You look great to."

Emilee smiled, looking back at us. "Who's ready for Formal?"

We all yelled, and Emilee turned on the radio, blasting it. Then, we were on our way to the dance.