Chapter 56 - Terra

Seven days before....

"What if we went to the mall?" she asked me, putting the last cereal bowl in the dishwasher.

"I would love to," I demurred, "but you know I have a lot of work to do."

After drying off her hands she gave me a blank-faced, narrow stare.

I bit the inside of my lip. "I'm sorry that it's no fun to be here," I apologized, looking down at the floor in the kitchen. "I feel bad that I'm more boring than a sack of rocks."

"You're not boring," she reassured me, sighing and stepping closer. Her hand raised to rub my arm. "You're just working too much. It's winter break! And it's almost Christmas. Isn't that exciting?"

I had almost forgotten. Christmas was in four days; it was so close. This would be my first Christmas alone in seven years. I suppose it was an easy sacrifice, as my grandparent's absence was now a good thing rather than a sad thing. At least they will be safe from the bomb.

But then, like a smack in the face, it hit me. Just because I planned to get out alive didn't mean that my family would be safe from the government. In the application and waiver I signed at the charity gala, the family of the applicant or witness was mentioned. I needed to keep them safe and that wouldn't happen if I made a run for it. The only real explanation was if Damian and I were to be hurt or got sick before the ball. There was no way that we could attend this event and come out clean on the other side.

And even if Damian and I could pull off that facade, Xander would still remain in the building. His test results hadn't shown what he would be like against a bomb--so his ability to remain alive after the drop was unknown. There would have to be a separate attempt to break him out, but seemingly only Damian and I knew about this. I didn't want to separate from him during the ball.

"Hello? Earth to Terra?"

I blinked and faced her, but cold dread filled my veins. "I zoned out again?" I asked, putting a fake smile on. I could only feel pure fear and anxiety. It all just hit me at once.

She nodded, pursing her lips.

"I'm sorry." My voice was monotone and empty. Oh, God, no.

She cracked a crooked smile. I knew that the smile was unique to her, but something within it reminded me of Xander. I felt a pang in my already wrenched stomach, wondering how he was doing after yesterday and what I had said to him. I really hoped he understood what I meant by the amount of minutes that went by. If he didn't, I would feel even more guilty. "You're fine Terra Bear-a," she mused, hopping up on a bar stool and picking a grape from bowl sitting on the counter.

"Terra Bear-a?" Even her jokes didn't make me laugh; they just made me want to cry.

She popped it in her mouth. "Terry Berry."

"Please stop."

"Terra Sahara."

"Oh, God."

"Terra--" she was about to continue but was interrupted by the doorbell ringing.

My heart jumped in my chest, but Flora Mae slid off of the bar stool and walked to the foyer. I was about to stop her, to walk in front of her to face the visitor myself, but she threw open the lock and the doors before I could say anything.

Standing on the porch was Damian dressed in a light blue shirt and khakis. His orange lanyard was hanging out of his pocket, and he held several folders while carrying his black backpack. As soon as he saw Flora Mae, his face lit up in a bright white smile. I was sure that I wouldn't see it again after seeing the emails, but it was right there plain as day. I felt thankful for them being together because, as I came as almost an anchor and a flighty selfish bitch who took advantage of broken people, they had each other. They had each other's strength where I couldn't compensate.