Chapter 69 - Xander

One day after....

Everything was going fine.

Terra looked so much better than she did before--she looked like herself. Not like a complete nightmare. I finally had the real Terra back--the touchable, short, copper-haired beauty. I just wanted to brush my fingers across her smooth, clean cheek and watch it warm and pink under my touch. I missed kissing her, and I had really no idea how much I truly missed her until we were alone in the hospital room.

I just wanted to hold her in my arms again but it was completely out of line.

She needed to stay away from me, no matter how I felt about her.

Though everything changed when Laura came back into the room carrying Terra's test results.

"Here are your results, Abbie," she informed, walking to Terra and extending her arm to give them to her. "I looked them over and--"

The television suddenly blared a loud, static beeping noise. It rang once, then twice, then a third time. After was one long, deafening blare. The alarm could be heard throughout the hospital on all of the televisions and radios. People walking in the hallway or working at desks stopped to stare at a television closest to them in concern. Everyone was awaiting news on the bomb, and it could have been just what they were looking for. With international war as a thought in everyone's mind, the worst was feared.

"The following message is transmitted at the request of the United States government," an infamously familiar but fear-striking voice casted over the televisions and radios. "A wanted fugitive named Abigail Egan is on the loose in the area of northern Ohio. It is believed that she is armed and dangerous. She has multiple accounts of treason, armed threats, chemical warfare, aggravated assault, and government conspiracy. Do not attempt to reason with this criminal--she is wanted by the United States government. If you or anyone else has seen this fugitive, contact state or government authorities immediately." An image of a woman was displayed on the black screen. She was smiling, one of the most innocent-looking people I've ever seen. "I repeat: A wanted fugitive named Abigail Egan is on the loose in the area of northern Ohio. It is believed that she is armed and dangerous. She has multiple accounts of treason, armed threats, chemical warfare, aggravated assault, and government conspiracy. Do not attempt to reason with this criminal--she is wanted by the United States government. If you or anyone else has seen this fugitive, contact state or government authorities immediately." Three short blares of the alarm were sounded, and then the warning cut off.

Slowly, I turned to look next to me.

Sitting on the bed with an open mouth and red face was the woman from the warning.

Terra turned and stared at me. Tears filled her eyes.

Suddenly, Laura dropped the stack of papers to the ground.

I looked up from the fallen file to watch her back up and raise her arms up. "Please.... Don't hurt me. I have a daughter." She started to cry and cower towards the door. "Please, please don't hurt me."

Terra raised her arms out to console her, but I jumped from my seat and ran to the windows overseeing the hallway. I pulled the shades down, then ran to Laura. I grabbed her by the shoulders and, using my oculi, I stared into her blue eyes. "Abigail Egan isn't in the hospital," I said. "You don't know where she is. All you know is that you have a lot of work to do, and a lot of people to help."

I blinked and let my oculi disappear.

Laura relaxed in my hands. She didn't speak as she turned and walked out of the room, silent and nearly comatose like she was in a trance.