➺Chapter Thirty-Three

A/N: I took down the previous chapter about the author's note because a lot of you mentioned that the website is only a mirror site and there shouldn't be much of an issue so I'll try to solve it as best as I can and until then . . . the show must go on!

Chapter Thirty-Three

~ Talal Abdul Wahab had never thought he'd live to see the day when a Dragos embraced the help of an Al-Makki. Since he had accepted the post of being Azrael's private lawyer, he had become accustomed to the bitter rivalry between the two families. There was only one reason behind it and it was enough to crush the Dragos family. And yet, Azrael had agreed that Aaida was the last Al-Makki and that she would reveal her birth to the world.

The Dragos family actively participated in two rivalries only. One was with the Al-Makki and the other was with the Gryder bloodline. Five generations after Lady Aimen, from her second son's lineage, there had been borne twins. It was not unusual. Aimen had birthed quadruplets and a pair of twins. However, no twins had ever been born as the eldest. And it came into dispute which brother would carry the title. The clash hailed two families- the Dragos and the Gryder.

However, the Gryder no longer posed a threat to the Dragos. They had gone into hiding a long time back after the Dragos had massacred them in hundreds. Right now, the Dragos were battling for supremacy against the Al-Makki.

And there was only one left.

Which led Talal to believe Azrael had a trick up his sleeve if he was willing to forfeit the race right as he was about to cross the finish line.

An unease settled in Talal. There was a reason he had agreed to work with the Dragos family. His father and grandfather and great-grandfather had all served the most powerful line in their country. Now, things were different. Talal knew his true place. And it wasn't by Azrael's side.

He had to ensure that Azrael would not stab Aaida's back. He could not risk losing the Al-Makki heiress and her child. Azrael was not one to bow to others and Talal knew the King would play dirty if he had to in order to attain all that he desired.

There was only one thing which could tip the balance in Aaida's favor.

One . . . person.

He worked quickly. Sealing the documents into the manila envelope along with a picture and a contact number, he made sure to cover it with a white paper containing his signature and seal. Without making it obvious, knowing even a suspicious twitch would have the King questioning his loyalty, Talal slipped the envelope into the folder which held the contract.

He had his duties to the throne.

But his country came first.

Yet above all . . . was the law.

And he was a man of the law.

➺ It was well past dinnertime and Aaida had dragged Zayden's new crib to Zaeem's study where she'd put him to sleep after he'd fed. She didn't want to be far from him while they went over the documents Azrael's lawyer had given them. Mama Susie and Mahra had long since gone to sleep since Liam would be there first thing in the morning to escort them to the summer cottage. Aaida had helped them both pack and they'd had a few tearful moments, only reassured by the fact that it was not forever. Aaida agreed with Zaeem though. She would not be able to live with herself if something happened to their mothers because of her actions. The two women had spent their evening playing with Zayden and it was only when he was thoroughly worn out did they part with the baby.

Now, it was silent in the mansion.

Aaida was reading the contract and Zaeem had busied himself with a few business matters. After offering Liam's father only a vague version of what was happening, the old man had agreed to come out of retirement and handle the business while the two younger men focused on other issues. Zaeem had hated the notion of putting the burden on Mr. Westerhuls and if he hadn't insisted that he needed a break from vacationing too hard, Zaeem would've never done it. At this point though, Liam had to look after Mama Susie and Mahra while Zaeem turned his attention on the lawsuit.