Twenty-Six - The Snow White Lead

February 3rd, 2009. Tuesday, 4:22 pm. 

"All right, guys," whispered Cyborg, peeking around the corner to inspect the apartment building. He looked back at the other three team members. "We have to go about this carefully." 

Raven folded her arms and rolled her eyes. 

"It's the middle of the day. Just go up there and knock." 

"No way!" protested Beast Boy. "We've gotta take her by surprise." 

"This is ridiculous," muttered Raven with a shake of her head. 

Starfire looked between Raven and Cyborg; her bright green eyes searching for answers. She truly hoped they wouldn't fight over this right now. She had her own opinion on how they should deal with this, but she didn't want to cause any arguments. That would just not be helpful at all. 

"I am afraid I must agree with Raven," said Starfire, looking apologetic to Cyborg. "I think it would be best if we announce our presence." 

"Look, guys," started Cyborg. "I just have this feeling; you know, like guy instinct. We need to tread carefully here." 

Raven lifted her eyebrow as if question this new type of feeling of instinct. Starfire was confused and was about to ask about it, when Raven put a hand on her arm. 

"Don't. You'll just get a long winded explanation that'll make no sense at all." 

Cyborg shot her an offended look, but said nothing. 

Starfire looked between the group, feeling the tense emotions that were emanating from her friends. With their dear friend Robin missing now for almost five months, the emotions of each of her friends had intensified. She herself was extremely worried. No doubt everyone thought they'd be able to find something about Robin's whereabouts; perhaps a clue. But there had been nothing, as if their friend had ceased to exist. 

And now this was the only clue they had. 

It had been a terrible many weeks. Starfire never truly realized just how big Jump City was; just how many people lived inside the city. But it most certainly was a very large city with over two million residents. It had taken them a long time – too long in Starfire's opinion – to find this girl. No one ever had answers when they asked. Finding this girl had been the only thing that drove each and every one of the group; it was the driving force that pushed their souls, that kept them going. 

But with every passing day with no luck, the emotions began to build negatively. 

Thus, Starfire did her best to lift her friends and try to bring a little cheerfulness to each one. But in doing so, she buried her own emotions in her heart. It was something she never imagined she'd ever do. On her home planet, Tamaran, one never buried their emotions. But Starfire knew that if she let herself wallow in the deep despair that threatened to overpower her daily, she'd never be able to use her powers again. 

Remaining emotionally strong was the only glue that held her friends together. She could see it completely. She knew Raven was having difficulty controlling her emotions and because of it, her powers. Cyborg always seemed burdened, as if there were a terrible weight on his shoulders. Beast Boy was determined to prove himself and sometimes was a bit overbearing in his resolve. 

Such conflicting and raging emotions, explosions were teetering on the edges of all of them. So, Starfire did all she could to become the balance between them. She did not want her friends to experience Rekma, The Drifting, where friends were no longer friends. They were a family now and they needed each other more than anything, especially during this terrible trial.