Chapter Three

"Zara! Get your lazy ass out of bed! You have an interview to get to in an hour!" I hear Maryam scream from downstairs. I open my eyes and jump out of bed. How could I forget to set an alarm last night?! If I'm late....no. I can't be late. There's no time to think about anything now.

I run to my closet and think, what should I wear? I have no idea what to wear. It didn't say in the letter, either. After remembering that I don't have any time to waste, I quickly grab a pair of black straight leg pants, a white fitted blouse and a navy blazer which is kind of professional, but is casual at the same time. I don't have time to shower, but that's okay as I showered yesterday evening after I got back from my jog around the park. I change into my clothes and glance into the mirror. This will have to do. I quickly brush my hair, tie it into a high ponytail, leaving out a few strands at the front, and slip on my navy heels.

Makeup. I can't look half asleep in an interview. Especially not in this interview. This is one of the largest companies in the city! Quicker than ever, I do my normal everyday makeup, which is natural and simple, but I opt for a maroon lipstick. I grab my purse and run downstairs.

"You're gonna wear that blazer?" Maryam asks, raising an eyebrow at my choice of clothes. I look down at the blazer I'm wearing and frown.

'Um, yeah? Why? What's wrong with it?'

"Just that you're going to an interview with one of the biggest companies in the city, and you're wearing such a boring blazer? I like how it isn't strictly professional, but it's so...boring. Wait a sec, I'll get you a different one to wear."

She pops upstairs for a few seconds, and comes back with a maroon blazer which perfectly matches the lipstick I'm wearing. I'm not sure, though...

'I'm not sure about that one, Maryam. Everyone in that office is gonna be wearing black, white, grey, and I'm wearing maroon? I don't think so...' I say to her. I don't want to stand out, even though I do quite like this blazer. I'm 100% sure though that all the employees of Zaid's company will be wearing professional outfits which are those colours.

"Oh just put it on, Zara. Like you said yesterday, you're not like those other girls," Maryam says to me, winking.

I sigh and slip on the blazer. There's really no time to waste.

'See? You look perfect

'See? You look perfect. Don't you agree, Mum?' Maryam asks, smiling.

"Yes, Zara. You look beautiful, dear. Now hurry, come and have breakfast. You will be late," Mum says.

I grab a piece of toast from the dining table. 'I'm definitely going to be late if I stop for breakfast. I'll eat this in the car, Mum. Don't worry. Dad, can we please leave now?'

He nods and gets up to go. Luckily, there isn't any traffic this morning. Twenty minutes later, we reach the office.

I get out of Dad's car. "Good luck, Zara! I'll pick you up in an hour," Dad says, waving at me and driving off.