Chapter Fifty-Five

Zaid's POV

When Mum comes into my room to wake me up this morning, I'm speechless for a good minute or two. I can't believe it. The day has finally arrived. The day that I make Zara mine. I will marry her today. I've missed her so much, I can't wait to see her as my bride tonight.

Mum notices the shocked expression on my face when she comes into my room, and she chuckles gently. "I can't believe it either, beta. You and Zara will get married this evening, and she will come to our home. Oh, I'm so excited! You honestly made me the happiest and proudest mother in the world when you told us about your decision to marry Zara. And the day has finally arrived!"

She beams at me before going to my closet and taking out my sherwani. It's a beautiful light gold colour, with gold and red embroidery. It isn't too heavily embroidered, but it isn't simple, either. It's perfect. As soon as I saw it, I had decided that I would wear this on my wedding day.

I sit up in bed, yawning and stretching. A small smile makes its way onto my lips, when I realise that tomorrow morning, Zara will be here with me. She will wake up with me. I can't wait to see her tonight. I feel like I've waited an eternity to marry her and make her mine.

'I haven't seen her in ages,' I say quietly to myself. The last time I saw her was after her bridal party, when I went to her room at night. I chuckle at the memory.

Mum smiles at me. "Yes, you haven't, but you'll see her today as your bride. You must have imagined her as your bride before?"

Every night, Mum. Every night.

I return the smile. 'She will make the most beautiful bride.'

Mum nods, agreeing. "I know she will. She looked like a princess on her mehndi, and today I know that she will look even more beautiful."

I didn't see her on her mehndi function, but I know that she must have looked stunning. She always does, and when she was dressed up as a mehndi bride, she would have looked unreal. Perfect.

Today, she will be mine. Finally.

'She must be upset today, though. She will be leaving her home today,' I say, sadly. I hope Zara isn't feeling too upset, I can't see her sad.

Mum gives me a small, sad smile. Tears quickly fill her eyes. She nods. "Yes, and I feel very upset thinking about her rukhsati. I feel upset knowing how sad her parents and Maryam must be feeling. Hafsa called me this morning, and she was crying. It made me cry, too."

'Hafsa called me too this morning, telling me that she will reach in a couple of hours. And she told me how difficult it was for Zara, Maryam, Aunty and Uncle last night. They were all trying to hold in their tears this morning,' I say quietly.

Mum comes over to me, giving me another sad smile. "Yes. Zaid, please always take care of Zara and keep her happy. She really is a delicate angel. She deserves all the happiness in the world."

'Of course, Mum. She means everything to me. Zara is too precious for me, I'll always do everything I can to keep her happy and be the best husband possible. I know that she'll miss her family a lot, too. I'll take her to see them whenever she wants, for however long she wants. That's no problem at all. I'll do whatever it takes to keep her happy. She deserves all the happiness in the world and more.'

Mum's eyes tear up at my words. "I know you'll always keep her happy, Zaid. She's my daughter, she always has been. And of course, you must take her to her family whenever she feels like going, whenever she's upset. It would make her very happy. I love you, beta. I love you so much."