Chapter Eight

Zaid's POV

I see Zara's expression change completely when she sees what's inside the parcel. It is a large book, it looks like an album. Why is Zara so scared after looking at it, though?

She reads the note, and her expression turns completely blank. The note slips out from between her fingers. I look at her face, worried. She looks like she's about to faint.

'Shit,' I mutter, when I see her fall. Just before she hits the ground, I catch her in my arms.

"Oh crap, is she okay?" The guy who found this parcel asks. I've forgotten his name.

'Clearly not. Ryan, that's your name, right? Bring me a glass of water,' I tell him.

"It's Rayyan," he corrects before heading to the water fountain at the back of Zara's cabin. Rayyan, Ryan, whatever. It's similar enough.

I gently pick Zara up in my arms, bridal style, and carry her over to the sofas. I lay her down onto the large sofa and call her name.

'Zara, wake up. Are you okay? Wake up, please.' No response. What am I supposed to do?

I don't think I've ever felt so worried and afraid before. What just happened to her? Oh yeah, that note. I briskly walk to her desk and pick up the small piece of paper from the floor next to it. I read the note and frown.

It sounds like this note is from an ex. Maybe it's from her ex-fiancé? He wants her back. Like hell will I let that happen. I feel protective towards Zara, not because she works with me, but because we used to be friends a couple of years ago. Although that's changed now, as I left for two years and now she's working for me, I still care about her. And this Hamza sounds like bad news.

"Here," Rayyan brings me the glass of water. I nod, signalling a thanks.

'Zara, wake up,' I call again but again, she doesn't respond. I hope she's okay.

"Dude, you're not going to pour the glass of water on her," Rayyan says to me seriously.

I smirk. 'I'm not stupid.' What's his problem about what I do, anyway? I can do whatever I want.

Okay. Maybe that was my first plan. To throw some drops of water on her face to wake her up. But maybe that's not such a good idea. What am I supposed to do then?

"Zara, wake up!" Rayyan shouts.

'You're going to give her a heart attack, shouting like that,' I mutter. But he doesn't listen. He shouts Zara's name again. He annoys me. I don't like him. He doesn't seem like a bad guy, but I don't like him. How is Zara friends with someone so annoying?

"Zara, wake up!" Rayyan shouts again.

I roll my eyes. 'Instead of shouting, can you suggest something that can wake her up?' I ask him, raising an eyebrow.

He grabs Zara's hand, which again, annoys the hell out of me. He slowly massages the palm of her hand and rubs it. Why is he doing that to her? I don't like him touching her. I don't like him, period.

A few seconds later, I hear Zara coughing vigorously. She's awake. I stand up, going near where she is on the sofa.

Rayyan also stands up, looking worried for Zara. She opens her eyes and squints at the bright light. She looks around and frowns.

'Why are you two staring at me like that?' She asks, her voice a low whisper.

Rayyan bursts out laughing. I also chuckle. "Zara, you fainted," Rayyan tells her.

Her eyes widen, they look like they're going to pop out. I can't help but smile at her expression. 'I...fainted?! Why? How?' She asks, and her expression falls straight away, remembering. 'Oh.'