Luki's Mate

Sound will bend like a weapon from Odin's chest one day.

Smears of Warpaint track down the face of my oldest. A Savage in the making. His father shaved the sides of his head. They wear the same braids. 

"How was the walk to the territory lines?" Both males lift lip, a flash of teeth.

"They are without Honor." Odin's voice is hard, mimicking his father's features.

"Why would that be?" Trying to hold Elska who is nose up squirming in my arms for her father.

"They pointed their silver at Odin. Not at anyone else. This is how Finian fights, he will kill pups first before grown adults." Odin nods his head, agreeing with everything his father is saying.

"Was Odin in danger?" Looking at Odin, spear still clenched in his hand. Knuckles white.

"Only if we decided to fight. I wanted to test their borders. Not take soil. They are too comfortable. Anything can slip in and out without detection. Just because you have the numbers doesn't mean you won't fall." Borson takes Elska from my arms, Ryeson is already in his other arm. Sitting on the couch, he smells Elska's bottom before nuzzling with the both of them.

Odin brushes past my outstretched hands, to open the fridge looking inside.

"Come here," the fridge door closes. Feet shuffle, drag towards me until his head is looking up. "I missed you." Bending down, looking at him in the eyes with a hug and kiss.

"Now you can eat." Taking the spear from his left hand, placing it by the back door. When Odin takes the plate I made him from the fridge, it's with his right hand.

"It seems Victoria is healing." The Savage looks right at me.

"Bessa, in your birth pack what do they do to someone that goes against the Alpha? What's the word for it?" A pause from him, waiting for my answer.

"Treason." The word lingers within the shell of this house long after I said it. 

"In the Far North, we call it death. But you know that Bessa." Eyes contact maintained.

"To go against an Alpha is to meet your death." A finger taps along Elska's spine.

His eyes maul within the space of mine. Jaw flexes before relaxing as he regards Ryeson who is on his lap, head buried into his father's chest.

"Ryeson, we will hunt in the morning." Odin jumps from the table excited.

"Not you, Odin. Ryeson will provide our meal tomorrow. You need to stack the wood in the house for the coming winter." Borson looks towards Elska, "and you need a bath." She makes her sound of gibberish to her father. He answers back to her in full sentences explaining his day like she can understand it all. A part of me thinks she does.

"They have eaten," looking towards the two littlest. "Odin is eating. You'll have to make yourself something. I did not cook for you." Putting on the newly made winter fur.

"Where are you going?"

"Luki's. I'll be back before night." Kissing each pup before slipping out the door. I can't stand the sight of him on me. He looks at me the same as he always looked at her.

The walk is quick but I notice females tight eyes on me as I pass by without a hello to their Luna. There seems to be a change in the way they are regarding who I am. A trickle of unease licks down the long bones of my legs.

Knocking first, waiting until the door is opened for me.

"Bessa." Luki's body fills the entire door frame preventing me from coming inside his house.