Chapter 7

*Edited*

Phoenix

The days went by quickly after Lauren showed up at my house. Her mom had taken a huge liking to me and was eager to let her daughter spend time with me. At first our relationship was purely school related, but as hours of studying were assigned, and the teenage brain distracted, we had come to learn a lot about each other.

She was originally from a different school but after feeling a bit overwhelmed, she had transferred to our current school. She had left behind a boyfriend who she somewhat still liked as they hadn't broken up due to a falling out, but more so distance. She was kind and gentle, and when she spoke it usually took a few tries for her brain to catch up with her mouth.

Her eyes were soft as always and never had any viciousness in them. There was a kind of calm when I was around her. It helped me escape the reality of my cruel world. I could tell there were times when she would stare at me only to flick her eyes back to her work when I moved. Her hand often twitched as if reaching out to my own.

Her laugh was adorable, and I found when she was bored or had nothing else to do she would subconsciously fiddle with her hair - She always wore it down so it cascaded down her back. There were scars on her arm much like mine and I knew we shared a similar past though we hadn't talked about it much.

As days turned into weeks I found myself cherishing every moment I had with her. My pack had come to easily love her, and she was comfortable around them. Her mom invited me over almost everyday for dinner which I had to decline most of the time. (The whole I'm a werewolf and my pack needed me was an issue that had to be delicately stepped around).

Her friends who had been originally scared of me and my pack were coming to accept we weren't as scary as they had thought, though they never really stood close to us or looked comfortable. Lauren was the only one who seemed to be able to relax when we were around.

The threat I had faced on the full moon was still out there, and when it came again my pack was ready. However the next full moon passed without a worry, and no more bodies had turned up in the surrounding area. Still, I didn't relax my guard as I could still feel there was something out there. Waiting, watching, and ready to strike when it was ready.

I still hadn't found a way to tell her what I was, or even figured if there was a good way to tell her I was a wolf. I mean how many people just pop the subject of "yeah I turn into a wolf on command by the way" and hope for a good response? I was still worried she wouldn't like me or I wasn't good enough, but I cherished how they all vanished when I was around her. Part of me knew I was being ridiculous but another part of me knew my fears were valid.

My phone rang and "Just The Way You Are" came on by Bruno Mars (Don't judge me I'm a hopeless romantic) and I knew it was Lauren calling. I picked up on the first ring.

"Hey, Princess." I greeted her knowing she was going to smile.

"Hey, I got a question."

"Fire away."

"Can I come over tonight? I don't really have anything to do or work on." I laughed as she knew my answer, still I wouldn't turn down the chance to listen to her voice. "You know you don't have to ask anymore right? You're always allowed to come over at any time."

"I was just making sureeeeeee." I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, see you soon." As soon as I hung up Apollo's voice faintly in the mind link, and what was even worse, he only spoke to me, not the pack.

Help me. Before it faded out. My wolf snapped to attention and I jumped out of my window landing on all fours completely shifted.

Blake, Blaze, Quincy on me. Danyon find Evelyn NOW! Quinlian I need you as well, Apollo is injured or worse. I need everyone else at the house. I reached my mind out to find where Apollo was, but he was fading. I pushed my senses out feeling every part of the forest in my being before my eyes snapped open and my paws were flying across the ground. I heard the others running behind me, the same amount of urgency in their thoughts as mine.

The smell of blood hit my nose like a brick causing me to redouble my efforts. A mass of red fur and blood came into view and I halted in front of him. He had a long scratch from his right shoulder to his left hip. His muzzle was mangled and his healing was failing to repair the damage to his body.

What could've done this, Alpha?

Good God.*Blaze thought.

Definitely not God, Blaze. Quincy thought back somberly.

APOLLO! Evelyn wailed into the mind link causing everyone to bow their heads. We could feel her pain, the pain that her mate might not survive.

I didn't have time to wait for Quinlian to get here, or he was going to die. I needed to heal him. I tapped into my ancient power and placed my right front paw on his deep gash. Slowly the wound began to knit itself back together. After a few moments all that was left was a long silvery scar down his stomach. His muzzle was a different story. Parts had been ripped and hung off by pieces of flesh. While the healing did what it could, I knew he was now going to live with scars.

I heard three more sets of paws running and knew it was Evelyn, Danyon, and Quinlian. Immediately the russet wolf threw herself onto her mate breathing heavily, large salty tears forming on her muzzle. Then we watched the impossible happen. As one of the tears fell onto Apollo's muzzle the wounds began to heal. Not only did they heal, the pieces of ripped away skin and flesh began to grow back.

We watched in stunned silence as Apollo's gold eyes snapped open.

What are you all staring at? Not even I had the words to answer him and Evelyn breathed a sigh of relief. She replayed the events from her memories.

I don't remember a thing. I just remember waking up with you all around me. He slowly got up and shook his fur out.

So you used the old magic, huh? I rolled my eyes at him. I wasn't going to let you die, it's worth my pride to save my pack. Years ago I had promised myself I wouldn't use the powers given to me by Leto. They just made me too powerful, and I found that power separated my pack from seeing me as a equal not a God. I just wanted to be normal. Well as normal as an Alpha wolf shifter can be.

Let's go home and figure out what happened.