Chapter 27

Phoenix

My world stopped. My father was dead. He had killed himself; his rage leaving him blind to anything. I watched him die.

"No." I whispered the only thing I could force out. My mind began to spin, thinking of the last few hundred years. I couldn't feel him anymore, I felt his life go out. There was no way he could be leading an army when he couldn't possibly exist.

That also meant this other person had to have relations with me or this hatred could not be sustained. This wolf had to have been born after me as I knew no child could have survived my father's madness. I felt Lauren's hand on my shoulder.

"I've never been more sure in my life - when I stared into his eyes and saw yours." That's when I lost it.

My entire body ripped into wolf form and I bolted away. Faintly I could hear Lauren calling me to come back and the small part of the sensible mind was telling me to go back and talk to her and that I was acting like a 3 year old. However the emotional side pushed me out of common sense and I kept running. My mind shut out from reasoning. All I knew was memories from the past and terror that my father was back. I kept running.

My head was thrown back in a long howl encompassing all the emotions of hurt, pain, and terror that my father ingrained in me.

A black wolf began running beside me trying to get through. Phoenix. I ignored her, pushing myself even faster. Phoenix! I heard again sharper in my mind. I continued to ignore her. Faster I pushed myself again.

STOP. Thundered through my mind and my muscles obeyed. You may be able to do a lot of things but ignoring me is not one of them. My chest heaved pulling in air and relieving my burning muscles.

You must calm down your pack and mate need you. Now. Listen to me. You will figure this out but right now you have to go back. Your mate needs you and you only have one week until your hond. You cannot lose your head now. She continued but her words did nothing to calm me. My head whipped around to glare at her. I held her gaze.

Did you know? Did you know, Leto?  She dipped her head. I had my suspicion but I couldn't confirm until your mate came out of their compound. Too furious to think about anything else I shoved past her and began home.

You had NO RIGHT to keep this from me Leto. I had the right to know that you suspected my father. MY FATHER. You were there when he lost his mind, you felt my pain when I thought he had died. You were the ONLY one in the world I thought I could trust and now I know you've been keeping this from me? How long have you known?

There was no answer.

HOW LONG?!  I shouted at her causing her to flinch. Her front legs almost buckled under the force of my fury and thoughts.

Since I saw you the first time when you were going to end your life. The information hit me like a truck and I stumbled to the ground. She had known since I was a pup and never told me. I couldn't move. The betrayal of the wolf I admired most ripped at my heart causing me to gasp finding breath. I faintly heard Leto pad away slowly. I heard as she paused to look back at me, and I could feel her sadness and regret for what she had done. I could feel it all but I said nothing.

It could have been hours or seconds but I felt another presence approaching. Her hands slowly ran along my back massaging every part of me. She was gentle and kind, not pushing to talk. Softly she began humming and slowly she began to move toward my head.

Eventually she sat cross legged in front of me and brought my massive head in her lap. Slowly, very slowly my mind and common sense returned.

I'm so sorry my love. I thought to Lauren gazing at her.

"Shh it's okay, I understand." Her eyes gave me the strength to stand up and shift back to human form. I took her in my arms, nuzzling my head on her shoulder.

Silently I wept.