Prologue

Prologue

Not everything that hurts you is harmful, and not everything that makes you happy is good in your life.

Life.

Life does not always follow a straight path. Things become messy and tangled. Our paths diverge in a variety of directions. But that doesn't rule out the possibility of it being excellent. There is still love, joy, and light in the world. There is still laughter and kindness.

I always remember my Mommy saying that, and it makes me want to cry every time I think of her. I'm in pain.

"Kaia, this is Don Salvador Elizondo and his daughter Selene."

I had no idea what was going on at the time. I'd only just gotten out of bed when I noticed these unfamiliar faces inside the director's office. They appear to be friendly, however, especially the beautiful lady in red. She's smiling at me as if I'm someone dear to her. Ang Mommy ko lang ang tumitingin at ngumiti sa akin ng ganyan. Walang ngumingiti ng ganyan sa akin dito kaya nagtataka ako.

The social workers here are bad to me. They wouldn't let me see my Mommy in jail because I overheard them say she's a criminal.

My Mommy is not a criminal!

She killed Daddy and shot him three times in the chest, but she just did it because my Daddy was bad! He used to beat us every day. My Mommy is not a criminal! I don't understand the need to put my Mommy behind bars. Why was she imprisoned for it when she only did it to protect me?

"Please say 'hi' to them, Kaia."

"No. My Mommy told me that I shouldn't talk to strangers."

I noticed everyone in the office glancing at each other as if I had said something unkind. I know that was impolite for a six-year-old. However, when the world is rude to you at such a young age, you have no choice but to be rude in return.

"Kaia," Nanay Felicita-the social worker in-charged bent down in one knee to talk to me. "Makinig ka. Simula ngayon, hindi ka na rito titira dahil simula ngayon may bago ka ng pamilya." Nilingon ni Nanay Fely ang magandang babae na nakapula at ang matandang lalaki na katabi nito. "Siya na ang magiging bagong Mommy mo... at siya naman ang magiging Lolo mo." Nanay Fely looked at me again and smiled. "Kung iyon ay papayag ka. Papayag ka ba, Kaia?"

My heart wanted to say no. I despised the idea. Nag-iisa lang ang Mommy ko. I don't want another Mommy. But my mind is saying yes otherwise.

The woman and the elderly gentleman were both well-dressed. Their presence conveys power, wealth, fame, and connections. I can't stay in this dreadful place forever. I need my Mommy released from jail, and I know these people will be able to assist me someday. I need their power, money, fame, and connection... I need their last name... so I say...

"Yes."

The woman's face instantly brightened.

"Thank you!" she mumbled, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Would you mind if I hugged you?"

As a response, I nodded slowly. She walked closer, bent down, and hugged me tightly, her lips trembling and her knees shaking.

"Thank you! You didn't know how much you make me so happy, Kaia. You didn't know." She unlocked her arms around me and looked at me tenderly and lovingly. "Starting today, you will call me Mommy. I am your Mommy, and you are my daughter. My daughter..." She smiled happily again. "My daughter... mine."

I'm not sure why, but I felt something was off about her words at the time. Even the way she embraced and held me. I can't tell what it is, but I have a strong feeling that something is wrong, particularly with her ways of raising me. She is, without a doubt, a caring person. Pero may nararamdaman akong mali. My Mommy Isabelle is caring pero hindi ko nararamdaman ang ganito.