Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Threat

I stared at the New York City lights blankly. A sight that always used to fill me with joy and delight. But now, it's nothing but a rueful background of sorrow and torment.

Walking to the wet bar, I poured myself a short shot of champagne and went to the balcony again, looking at the darkly glittering New York night. Taking a drink while letting the champagne burn down my throat.

"Ma'am,"

Blinking, I graciously turned around and found myself bleakly staring at David.

"Yes?"

David chose to walk closer and handed me a folder with a heading on the cover, 'Elizondo Chains.'

"What's this?"

Binuklat ko ang folder at binasa ang laman. It's a letter—a humble request for my presence before the board and the stockholders for this year's board meeting.

Looking away, I coldly shrugged and gave the folder back to David.

"You knew what to answer."

Tumalikod ako at muling itinuon ang tanawin sa labas. I expected David to get out of my suite, but seconds had already passed, and I still felt his presence inside.

Nilingon ko ito at tinignan na nagtataka.

"May nakalimutan kang sabihin?"

Mabilis itong tumango nang marahan saka sumagot ng katotohanan na hindi ko maaalala kung hindi nito ipinaalala.

"It's been four years, Ma'am. I think that this is the right time to occupy your seat in the company."

"Not that it was empty for how many years, David."

"But it's your seat, Ma'am ... and not someone else's."

Inilayo ko ang tingin kay David. David swore a lifelong loyalty and allegiance to Salvador Elizondo kaya alam kong labag sa loob nito ang pagpasok ko kay Albert Fajardo at pagbigay ko ng karapatan na ipatakbo at ipamalakad ang kompanya.

From the outside perspective, I never see the wrong in appointing Albert Fajardo as the new Chief Executive Officer of the company. It was the right thing to do.

"I am still the owner, the chairman, and the company's majority stockholder, David. Albert Fajardo is just the CEO."

"Yes. But-."

"I wanted to rest." I cut David softly. "I appreciate it if you will leave now."

Labag man sa loob, marahan nitong tumango saka yumuko bago tumalikod. Hinintay ko na makalabas ito ng tuluyan bago nilagok ang natitirang laman ng champagne.

Pumasok ako sa loob ng kwarto at ibinaba ang wine glass sa ibabaw ng bar counter. I slipped my nightgown open and marched to the bathroom naked. Lumubog ako sa bathtub at marahan na ipinikit ang mga mata. The mellow feeling of the bubble and the gentle caress of the warm water on my delicate skin is relaxing. Exactly what I needed for the night. I let out a short comforting sigh of relief and smiled at the heavenly feeling.

"This is heaven." maikli kong wika na may kasamang tipid na ngiti bago dahan-dahan na pumikit.

Nasa kalagitnaan ako nang panduduyan sa akin ng antok nang marinig kong may biglang nahulog at nabasag na kung ano sa loob ng kwarto. Alam kong hindi basta-basta papasok si David dahil alam nito kung ano ang ginagawa ko nang mga sandaling ito. Maging si Ashton kaya kumunot ang noo ko.

Nagtataka, tumayo ako at hinila ang tuwalya at itinakip sa kahuburan. Sa lahat ng nangyaring sa buhay ko, wala na akong kinakatakutan. Masamang tao man, masamang damo o masamang ligaw na mga kaluluwa kaya matapang akong lumabas.