Grant's Wolves

Okay so far the furthest in history I've went in story ideas was the 1910's.  Well now rewind fifty years and you have what?  The Civil War.  The U.S's most bloodly conflict in history.  In terms in death toll I believe it is shadowed by WW1 and WW 2 but in terms of ferocity and anger no other conflict beats it.

The year is 1864, only a few months until 1865, the year the Confederacy lost to the Union.  Ulysses s. Grant was the leader that conducted the war.  Using his intelligence he takes down an angry Confederacy.  But did he win through overt warfare?  Partly, but CIA analyst Tom Burkaw in modern day Langley, Virginia came across some old primary documents sealed in large hidden vault.  Originally looking into some project regarding intelligence strategies used during the Civil War, but came across what looked to be a thick debriefing report.  Which he found out later it was.  It was a debriefing of Ulysses S. Grant by a couple of non disclosed intelligence officers involving matters of covert warfare.

During the final stretches of the war, Grant was tired of warfare, and he had arranged a group of the most potent soldiers.  they were essentially the worlds first shock troopers trained at infiltration and the first ideals of uncoventional warfare.  Each and every one of the Union super soldiers were expert marksman, wielding brand new rifled carbines that had increased distance and stopping power.  Burkaw learend from the debriefing that the war just may have been won through unconventional means, paramilitary operations.

Known only as Grant's Wolves, these hardened men excelled in open and discreet warfare, and were instrumental in the defeat of the Confederacy, who were in just  a few short months were brought to their knees by something they didn't know existed.